Drain pool for SWCG installation?

CAVO14

Aug 12, 2015
Norfolk, Virginia
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I've read on two or three sites that say I should drain my pool completely and put fresh water and salt into the pool. Then on two other sites I see all should be fine without draining it. Call me a nervous nelly but I'm just trying to make sure everything will be fine and that I won't cause an early death for a SWCG. My equipment includes a hayward S166T sand filter, a doheny 3/4 hp pump and motor, and 7500 gallon pool.
My chemistry as of right now is:
Chlorine:3 ppm
CH:140
TA:100
CYA:50 ppm
Borax: ~30 ppm
TDS: 1100
The only chemicals that have been used in the pool is bleach, power powder plus, algaecide, floculant, borax, dry acid, baking soda, and PH up.
Is that safe to go ahead and get and install the intex krystal clear salt water system. The only reason I'm really interested is because it's only 100 dollars and we go through that much chlorine in one summer. Any help is much appreciated and if any other information is needed I'll do my best to help.

There should be no reason to drain the pool as long as you can stop the flow of water out of the pool and your water is clear.. If your water is not clear you will want to SLAM before raising your CYA between 70 to 80.

It looks like you have a good test kit, maybe the K-2006?

I am not up on the Intex SWG so can not help there, I have heard it has copper bars that need to be removed.

Yeah i bought some winterizing plugs so i can plug the inlet and outlets. The water is crystal clear besides some dirt at the bottom of the pool. I have a generic drop test from home depot. but the readings i gave you are from leslies. And you are correct on the copper bars. in the system it says the copper and titanium electrodes to induce copper ions as a second mechanism to kill bacteria and algae. But if it causes more problems then solves i'd happily remove them. I really want to get a k-2006 but an 80 dollar test kit isn't in my dad's budget, since it is his pool.

If you want you can return your swg, and buy this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHWUK42?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Same price and much better, I had the same, and this one is much better, not need to drain pool at all

Thank you very much. That is the exact same on I ordered. Read so many good reviews on it. As long as it lasts 1 year it'll pay for itself. Each additional year is like putting 100 dollars in my pocket. How long do they typically last? If the pool is maintained. Also did you remove the titanium and copper electrode? Like some suggest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.