Water Circulation Issue

hubin1

Aug 12, 2015
az
Hi gurus

I am having issue with water circulation. I have sand filtration system (triton II) and Hayward pump system. The pressure was getting high so I performed routine backwash like usual. This time, when I put it back to filtering, pressure is still high and I also lost flow from both inlet (skimmer and vacuum) and outlet. I can't feel any suction on inlet and I do not see anything coming out of the outlet. I can still perform backwash just fine which I think it tells me that the pump is working. I checked all surfaced plumbing and did not notice any leak.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

I,would be looking at the multiport valve. When you put it in backwash and water is flowing you will still have suction from the drain/skimmer, so that is out of the picture. That points to the multipoint valve.

Google your make/model valve and you should be able to find a manual and usually an exploded parts diagram to figure out what is going wrong.

I,would be looking at the multiport valve. When you put it in backwash and water is flowing you will still have suction from the drain/skimmer, so that is out of the picture. That points to the multipoint valve.

Google your make/model valve and you should be able to find a manual and usually an exploded parts diagram to figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks for your quick reply!!

I have this simple turn and push down handle mechanism to put it in a backwash mode. When I done, I simply pull the handle back up and twist to lock it for regular filtration mode.

Attachments

• something like this.jpg
    something like this.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 55
Well, if it works in backwash mode and doesn't in filter mode then something is wrong inside that plunger valve. If you pull it up to go back into filter mode I'm going to guess the rod has somehow disconnected from the slide and the slide is staying I'm the lower backwash position. Do you have valves to turn off the water to that valve to try to disassemble it to see what is going on?

Thanks Tim. You were dead on. Bottom part of pentair backwash valve broke off. I got the replacement part however I can't locate the broken end. I think it is lodge somewhere restricting the flow. I don't want to start cutting the pipe but looks like that is what I have to do. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

I wish I had one. I've never done surgery on one of those, so I'm not sure what to recommend other than cutting it out and replacing it.

If you are buying parts anyway I think a multiport valve is more versatile than the simple push/pull valve you had.

Long story short, I had to cut the pipes. It was lodged in pretty tightly restricting 100% water flow back to pool. I used union this time to put it back together in case I need to take it apart later and it finally working!!! I searched online looks like I was not alone. It is pretty common issue. I had to get this up and running as quickly as I can but next time if it happens, I will definitely replace it with multiport value like you suggested.
Thanks for help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.