Replacing Pool Light - Need Confirmation Buying Right Thing [Pictures]

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
Putting a new light in. Have no idea what exactly I need to get. I know I need a 12v, 300 watt light, about 50' of cord, but I am confused by the niche part...

I'm under the impression it is the housing for the light/bulb. But I am getting information that I need to make sure I get something that is compatible for my situation. Is this not something that is included with the light?

Here's some pics. When I bought the house, this is how I found it.

grTL6uM.jpg

MaEyc2s.jpg

VkpkNKx.jpg

KOsAQhn.jpg

I was/am thinking of buying this light. Is it compatible and all I need?
https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pentair-78438100-amerlite-pool-light/4042p1

Thank You!

What you have is a StaRite full size pool light niche. The light in your picture is a Pentair full size light. Normally the Pentair light will fit that niche but it looks like the niche is missing the screw socket at the top. I have no clue what that thing on the deck is.

What you have is a StaRite full size pool light niche. The light in your picture is a Pentair full size light. Normally the Pentair light will fit that niche but it looks like the niche is missing the screw socket at the top. I have no clue what that thing on the deck is.

Wooo a reply, thanks!

Ok, so Pentair light should fit that size niche, good. But, what will I do about not having a screw socket for the new light?? That's a hexagonal screw head for fastening the light to the niche, right? Where is the hole for the screw, I don't see it in the my picture (I'm not there now). I didn't even notice that (not surprising).

Well the bottom of the light has a piece that fits a slot and the top of the light has a screw that screws into a threaded tab and hold the light in place. It looks like it's broken off. There is a tool called a light wedge that is used for this problem. Any pool store has this item, on line you can get it also. I believe we have a link to it here somewhere at TFP.

Well the bottom of the light has a piece that fits a slot and the top of the light has a screw that screws into a threaded tab and hold the light in place. It looks like it's broken off. There is a tool called a light wedge that is used for this problem. Any pool store has this item, on line you can get it also. I believe we have a link to it here somewhere at TFP.

Thanks man, you are a huge help I appreciate it!

Since you mention that it is a Sta-Rite niche, should I be looking for a SwimQuip light instead? I'm getting so f'ing confused at this point but I think those are meant to go with the Sta-Rite niche?? What's the difference?

I just want to get the right light because it seems like every online store is not return-friendly..

- - - Updated - - -

See here's more conflicting information

1. The guy on this forum (post 3) says he has Sta-Rite niche, and Amerlite does FIT [LINK]
  2. This chart says will NOT fit [LINK]

Don't know why but I am more partial to the Amerlite, if it will work... plus it's cheaper :confused:

ahhhhh

The fact that there is some sort of light in there already that obviously was not designed for this niche leads me to think that, yes the niche has had the tab broken off or otherwise will not accept a fixture that was designed for it. the pool tool that the old pool man referred to i don' think will work because that is designed for the top, or screw portion that has been broken, yet still has the bottom portion remaining to hold the bottom of the fixture in place.

There is an Aladdin product called the "Aladdin light ring" you should look into. It would allow you to install ANY light fixture you wanted to, providing that the niche was large enough to accept the fixture.

The fact that there is some sort of light in there already that obviously was not designed for this niche leads me to think that, yes the niche has had the tab broken off or otherwise will not accept a fixture that was designed for it. the pool tool that the old pool man referred to i don' think will work because that is designed for the top, or screw portion that has been broken, yet still has the bottom portion remaining to hold the bottom of the fixture in place.

There is an Aladdin product called the "Aladdin light ring" you should look into. It would allow you to install ANY light fixture you wanted to, providing that the niche was large enough to accept the fixture.

What a nightmare this is..

The light I bought was the Pentair SwimQuip 300 Watt Pool Light 05082-0050 - 50 Foot Cord - 12 Volt , because I think that is the light that was originally for this niche.

Awesome, the bottom tab is also broken... didn't notice. How does Aladdin light ring work? I haven't spent but a minute or so looking into it but I'm having a hard time visualizing how it does what it does. Also, I don't need a light wedge then if I use this?

Thank you though for your advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The light ring fits over the opening of the niche and replaces the notch in the bottom and the tab on the top where the set screw goes.

http://www.aladdin1950.com/files/4814/1692/7466/Light_Rings_Lens_Gaskets.pdf

Good on ya Pool Clown. I had forgotten about the Aladdin retrofit ring! It works really well.

Help guys I have no idea which Aladdin ring to purchase. I've been looking but I can not tell which adapter ring is right for this Sta-Rite niche! Here are some closer pictures of the niche with a ruler so you can see.

S0EmMlN.jpg

0Fma8z8.jpg

k7tpHAp.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.