Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test with TF kit

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test with TF kit

Following the instruction, the mixed solution is always more than enough to do the black dot test. Can I do it with half of the water and solution? This should result the same ratio to test with.

My other question is, seeing the guy at the pool store using the same test but since it's indoor (the black dot probably don't appear as dark), his result should be higher than when I do the test out in the backyard, correct?

I asked because my recent test showed 70 and the pool store's was 40, reversed of what I mentioned above.

Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA test with TF kit

With pool $tore you can never tell for sure what they are doing. It's best to just stay away if you can.

You can use less as you suggested. Just make sure it isn't too little to get the reading you need. Be very sure to use equal amounts of pool and reagent.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thx. So far it works but I guess unless my CYA is way too low then I need to add and retest anyway.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Just ignore pool store results, they will only confuse you. In fact, they did exactly that, so I rest my case

If you measured your CYA as 70 then that is what it is, don't retest because some guy at the pool store got an entirely different number. His job description is to make sales, not deliver accurate testing.

As long as there is a 1:1 ratio of water to melamine (the CYA reagent) then the results will be accurate.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    Thx. So far it works but I guess unless my CYA is way too low then I need to add and retest anyway.
    70 CYA is fine. Why raise it if it's working?

And the scale is upside down, so lower level means higher number.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    70 CYA is fine. Why raise it if it's working?

And the scale is upside down, so lower level means higher number.
    What I meant was the way I tested with half the liquid and it's been ok unless the CYA is way low which require more liquid to see the actual reading which I might not have enough. And if it's that low, I have to add CYA anyway.