Any suggestions for increasing CH without breaking the bank (early August - no deicer

bzbmom

Aug 2, 2014
VA Beach VA
I'm still new to pool maintenance. Wow, Thank Goodness for this site and the forum - and Thank You to all you pros for sharing your wealth of knowledge!!!!!! I have a CH level of 33. It is a plaster pool, but was recently painted and coated with something that is very slippery. I need to increase the hardness (obviously with a level of 33) - but don't have $100 to spend at the pool store. It's early August and none of the hardware stores have any de-icer in stock. Any other suggestions how I can increase this without breaking the bank?

Thanks!!

Try the local farm store. They usually have calcium in stock for farmers use. It's the same stuff used in pools or as deicer.

Thank you so much!! My local farm store had it in stock. Less than $20 for a 50 lb bag. Much better than the $80 I'd have to spend at the pool store

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, what test kit are you using? or how did you come up with a CH of 33?

I got the number from a local pool store. I went in to buy shock and have the water tested.

Ah, pool store measurements...that explains it.

The test for CH is a drop test (titration) and each drop represents 10 ppm of Calcium so normally you don't get in the ones place on the reading. Mine takes 23 drops so x10 and my CH is 230. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.