New IG fiberglass pool

Aug 12, 2015
Elkton MD
Hi all! We just had a brand new San Juan fiberglass pool and it is wonderful! I hope to learn enough to keep it sparkling clean forever LOL.
It is 11,500 gallons, I have a Haward DE filter and an automatic chlorinater. Not sure of the pump.
We moved recently and at that house I had a 14000 gallon abover ground pool, which I struggled with algae at the end of every season.
I usually rely on the local pool store to help me with my chemicals by bringing in water to test every month or so.
Just getting started. Thanks for being here. Excited to learn and enjoy my pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helenamac

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The algae at the end of the season is a very familiar pattern in pools that are closed in the winter, opened in the summer and maintained with trichlor chlorinators. The culprit is CYA, aka stablizer, levels. In the winter, the pool is either completely or partially drained. This removes some or all of the CYA. In the spring, the pool gets pucks (trichlor) thrown in the skimmers/chlorinator. Each tablet adds CYA and chlorine (FC). The FC gets used up by sunlight and bather waste, the CYA remains behind. Eventually the CYA builds up by August where there is not enough FC to match the VERY high CYA level. See the CYA/Chlorine chart in my signature. Pucks alone will not add enough FC to match the ever-increasing CYA level. Pool owner then deals with algae, unable to swim during the end of the season, band-aids the pool with powdered shock which only makes things worse then drains and closes and starts next year with manageable CYA. Ditch the pucks and powdered chlorine for regular maintenance and you'll swim all summer. Liquid chlorine (aka bleach) or a SWG is the way to go. Check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask lots of questions.

Hey there Helenamac :) Glad to see another fiberglass pool here. :paddle:

Have you considered doing your *own* pool testing? Its *far* more accurate with the right kit, and you have more interest in getting good results. Sometimes it seems pool stores will sell you things that you don't *really* need and are too costly.

Around here we like to recommend these two test kits- TF-100 (avail via TFTestkits.net) or the Taylor's K-2006 (no other number, the others are missing a test you need). The Taylors can be found at TFTestkits.net or Amazon, and sometimes at local shops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.