adding heat pump doubles filter pressure

JTW

Aug 12, 2015
Lower Moreland Pa
Hi new to this forum so hopefully explaining this correctly. Before I added my pool heaters my filter pressure was at 10 after backwash and new DE. I then added a Hayward heat pump and a Raypak propane heater. The Raypak has a built in bypass however the Hayward does not. It appears that the Hayward heat pump is causing the pressure to go from my old normal 10 to with heat pump valves on 20. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I am not the best resource but it does seem too high. I'll let others with heaters chime in and see if they agree. That a lot of resistance...4 psi increase I would say OK but not 10 psi.

Perhaps the diameter of the piping within the heat pump is smaller than your pool pipe? That would create more pressure.

It also has a fair amount of bends but it should be smooth copper (?) bends within a single piece of pipe I would think.

You added two heater in series? Heaters can have a lot of head loss (especially if it does not have a builtin bypass) and adding two in series could be causing the extra rise in PSI.

At what RPM was the pump setting with the two PSI readings?

I have a manual bypass for the Hayward heat pump and when enabled the pressure goes down. What would be a normal expectation for the addition of the heat pump as far as pressure goes? Im guessing its not 10 correct? Thanks for your reply!

I have two heaters, one heat pump and one gas. To extend the season north of Philadelphia the heat pump does not always have enough power to recover from a cold night or cold rain. With the propane backup I can have my pool ready in hours instead of days (we swim almost every day.
I guess my question still is does 20psi sound normal with a heat pump with no internal bypass and a gas heater with an internal bypass?

For the rpm question it will jump up to 20psi at 3k rpm and up. At low rpm's it sits at 10psi (with no bypass).

thanks everyone for the help!!

I guess my question still is does 20psi sound normal with a heat pump with no internal bypass and a gas heater with an internal bypass?
Yes, I think that is reasonable for a heater without an internal bypass and one with an internal bypass but both in series. The total head loss of that set up at 60 GPM (3000 RPM) could easily reach 23' of head (10 PSI rise).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was happy to find this thread.

We just added a Raypak 6450 to our setup (hayward super pump 1HP, Hayward 200lb sand filter) and saw the pressure jumps from ~12-14 PSI to ~20 PSI when going through the heatpump.

I was paranoid the installers mucked it up, or something was lodged in there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.