Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding heat pump doubles filter pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

adding heat pump doubles filter pressure

Hi new to this forum so hopefully explaining this correctly. Before I added my pool heaters my filter pressure was at 10 after backwash and new DE. I then added a Hayward heat pump and a Raypak propane heater. The Raypak has a built in bypass however the Hayward does not. It appears that the Hayward heat pump is causing the pressure to go from my old normal 10 to with heat pump valves on 20. Is this normal?
    22,500 gal inground salt water pool & spa w/ Jandy 2.5 vs pump & booster pump, Hayward 100k heat pump and Raypak 400k propane heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: adding heat pump doubles filter pressure

Welcome to the forum.

I am not the best resource but it does seem too high. I'll let others with heaters chime in and see if they agree. That a lot of resistance...4 psi increase I would say OK but not 10 psi.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Perhaps the diameter of the piping within the heat pump is smaller than your pool pipe? That would create more pressure.

It also has a fair amount of bends but it should be smooth copper (?) bends within a single piece of pipe I would think.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys! not sure of HP internal pipe dia but will check. im hoping that's not it since someone else I know has the same heat pump without this issue.
    22,500 gal inground salt water pool & spa w/ Jandy 2.5 vs pump & booster pump, Hayward 100k heat pump and Raypak 400k propane heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Normally the flow range is 30gpm min and 70 gpm max for these small heat pumps. I see you have a 2.5hp pump. This may need a manual by pass to control flow.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

6. Back To Top    #6

You added two heater in series? Heaters can have a lot of head loss (especially if it does not have a builtin bypass) and adding two in series could be causing the extra rise in PSI.

At what RPM was the pump setting with the two PSI readings?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I'm not that smart but why are you adding a heat pump and a pool heater? If your flow is going through both, (in series) your filter psi will probably double for certain

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a manual bypass for the Hayward heat pump and when enabled the pressure goes down. What would be a normal expectation for the addition of the heat pump as far as pressure goes? Im guessing its not 10 correct? Thanks for your reply!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have two heaters, one heat pump and one gas. To extend the season north of Philadelphia the heat pump does not always have enough power to recover from a cold night or cold rain. With the propane backup I can have my pool ready in hours instead of days (we swim almost every day.
    I guess my question still is does 20psi sound normal with a heat pump with no internal bypass and a gas heater with an internal bypass?

For the rpm question it will jump up to 20psi at 3k rpm and up. At low rpm's it sits at 10psi (with no bypass).

thanks everyone for the help!!

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess my question still is does 20psi sound normal with a heat pump with no internal bypass and a gas heater with an internal bypass?
    Yes, I think that is reasonable for a heater without an internal bypass and one with an internal bypass but both in series. The total head loss of that set up at 60 GPM (3000 RPM) could easily reach 23' of head (10 PSI rise).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Mark, I guess the question now is there a better way to set up two heaters or am I ok with this setup?

12. Back To Top    #12

The best setup probably depends on how you plan on using the heaters and how often they will be used.
    Mark