Cal hypo pricing

Apr 30, 2014
California
Guys I know there have been many price comparisons for cal hypo and bleach along with all the others. I have a small pool route as a side buisness(8 pools+ my own), in order to keep my route clear and free I go through a lot of liquid 4 gallons at 12% for 19$, but I can also get cal hypo at 100lbs for 170, i know about calcium issues, by weight which one can save me some time and money?

To compare you need to know what strength the cal-hypo is. This is all fairly simple math, 1 gallon of 12% will raise FC 12 ppm in 10,000 gallons at a cost of $4.75. So you get about 40 cents/ppm/10,000 gallons. Assuming your cal-hypo is 48% (typically the lowest strength) then 1 lb will raise FC 5.7 ppm in 10,000 gallons at a cost of $1.70. So you get about 30 cents/ppm/10,000 gallons. If the cal-hypo is higher strength then the cost/ppm will be lower.

Since you are in California though I would think long and hard about using the cal-hypo. If you can do easy water changes then it won't be such a big deal, but if they can't easily change water then you are not helping your clients by adding more calcium. In this business reputation is everything, don't risk it to save a few dollars.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.