Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does the salt cell have to be the "highest point of plumbing?"

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the salt cell have to be the "highest point of plumbing?"

I am installing a Saline Generating Systems "Breeze 540" SWCG. I am about to install the salt cell on the return line. The installation manual says the cell "must be located above the highest point of plumbing." On another page the manual says, "The cell housing should be located 6 inches above the height of plumbing: in the event there is no heater, the cell should be located above the height of the filter inlet and outlets." (I do not have a heater, except for solar.) Is all this altitude actually required? My return line is 3 inches above the ground, whereas my filter lines are 39 inches above the ground, so if I'm understanding this correctly I must install 42 inch risers on my horizontal return line to raise the salt cell 6 inches above the filter lines? Really?

Thanks for any feedback.

Philip
    20.3K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward S244T sand, 1HP Hayward SP2607X10 pump, Saline Generating Systems "Breeze 540" SWCG, circa 2000, TF100/SpeedStir, 5 AquaSol AQ48 solar panels, Intermatic PF1103T 1.5/3HP Timer, Kreepy Krauly Classic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the salt cell have to be the "highest point of plumbing?"

I'd sure give them call and ask them why. The pressure and rate of flow won't change.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not heard of this requirement before and I know many SWG cells are installed well below the highest point in the plumbing. I've seen several installations (in fact every one I've seen) where the SWG is installed just 6 inches to a foot off the pad while there are obviously return/suction lines running to the filter multiport valve that are well above that. At least two installations I've seen the SWG and the equipment pad are below the altitude/grade of the pool surface itself.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with woodyp, I'd call and ask why. Is it something about that particular system ?

Mine could be mounted horizontally or vertically. The only requirement was where in the system line it was located (i.e in the return line after pump, filter, heater etc)
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

They're just using redundant safety systems. If there is some sort of malfunction, they don't want Hydrogen gas building up in the heater and pulling a Hindenburg on you. The manual I'm looking at says

The cell housing should be located 6 inches above the height of the heater: in the event there is no heater, the cell should be located above the height of the filter inlet and outlets.

That shouldn't be so hard. It doesn't say above the filter, just above the filter plumbing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Some places, like Australia, require a "gas trap" design. The cell contains a safety sensor that detects excess gas buildup.

The design traps gas in the cell and prevents the cell from generating more gas than what would cover the plates in the cell. Once the cell fills with gas (hydrogen gas and chlorine gas), no more can be made because the plates are not covered in salt water.

I would suspect that the system is manufactured by a company that makes systems for the Australian market.

7. Back To Top    #7

Great answers Richard and James!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Richard and James, your replies made a lot of sense to me, and I installed the salt cell per the directions. I'm glad I did--the housing is transparent and it is so easy to inspect the plates for build up with the cell so high off the ground! IMG_1882.jpg
    20.3K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward S244T sand, 1HP Hayward SP2607X10 pump, Saline Generating Systems "Breeze 540" SWCG, circa 2000, TF100/SpeedStir, 5 AquaSol AQ48 solar panels, Intermatic PF1103T 1.5/3HP Timer, Kreepy Krauly Classic