Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unstable PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Unstable PH

I had to go through a SLAM process a few weeks ago to kiill algae and phosphates. Since then my PH has been unstable. My alkalinity is fine, my chlorine is fine for a day or two and the it disappears and my PH wil rise to 8.0. I have used Acid twice to get it down, which it does, but two days later it is right back up there. Thoughts?
    33ft Above ground
    24,000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unstable PH

Hi Jennifer and welcome to TFP

So, a few things here. SLAM doesn't kill phosphates. Usually we don't address them because in almost every situation they are overcome by a reasonable amount of free Chlorine. When you say fine regarding the various parameters, can you please clarify that with the actual test results please? If you could post all your results and let us know how you obtained them, we can offer clear advice. Also, please clarify what you mean by unstable pH. In almost all pools, pH tends to rise, so what you briefly describe is pretty normal. Let us know about the above, and we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Posting some test results will help us help you. We don't really do advice based on "my levels are fine." If they were, then you wouldn't be here. What test kit are you using? How are you chlorinating the pool? Was it a proper SLAM with all criteria passed or was it simply a shock and pray? More details are needed to help you out.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    Dexter, MI

What I found with my PH drift was that my pool likes the TA down around 60, once that happened I never had any PH drift, rock solid. So I guess what I'm saying is a fine TA # for my pool that keeps PH stable may not be appropriate in yours. My experience tells me that once the TA is right for your pool the PH will be stable.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Yep, we need a TA number please! Any SWG? Have you been aerating the pool to cool it down?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!