Fiberglass pool with slippery stairs - Solutions??

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
I have a fiberglass pool that I chose not to have a rail installed. I like the "natural" look. But the entry stairs into the pool are a bit slippery. It does have a little texture to it but not enough to stop anyone from slipping if they are not careful.
What can I do to fix that? I was thinking anti-slip tape but most do not work/stick if you try to install them underwater. :(
Thoughts/ideas??? Thanks.

I believe that you can purchase some grip strips that you can put on the fiberglas steps that are similar to the ones that disabled people use in bathtubs to prevent slipping? I have no idea where to find, and they could look cheesey but would solve your issue and probably be able to be installed under water.

ashmoussa, I too have a Viking pool. Now this comment may seem completely backward from everyone else's thinking, but I'm just going to throw it out there because it happened to me.... before TFP. I hope you take no offense to this comment regarding your pool care. But in our first season, me and the family were constantly slipping on our steps, especially the bottom two that had a slight angle to them. It was ridiculous. Now our steps are no longer slippery and actually have a somewhat clean grip to them. What did I do? "TFP". That was it. I my case, I later learned that even though my water was "clear", there was a film on every pool surface (walls too) that I could not see. I thought it was a normal feeling. Only after I followed the tried & true method of balancing FC with CYA properly, are my pool surfaces no longer slippery. Perhaps your Caribbean steps are slightly different than our Poseidon, but I just had to throw that info out there for consideration before you did anything drastic. If your water is TFP balanced and you know for sure your FC and CYA are in-synch with no possibility of increased CCs or algae that you can't even see, then I suppose some sort of grip support would be your next option. Either way, I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you.

Yeah, no kidding. :) We each lost a lot of "cool points" busting our butts going into the pool our first season. I had to do a SLAM in 2014, and after the SLAM, the entire pool felt different - squeaky clean. It was our first FB pool, so we didn't know any different. We no longer slip on the stairs, and the walls are no longer slippery either. When I saw your post, I figured I'd throw that info out there "just in case" it gives you something else to consider and you find out something similar might be happening to your new pool.

ashmoussa, I too have a Viking pool. Now this comment may seem completely backward from everyone else's thinking, but I'm just going to throw it out there because it happened to me.... before TFP. I hope you take no offense to this comment regarding your pool care. But in our first season, me and the family were constantly slipping on our steps, especially the bottom two that had a slight angle to them. It was ridiculous. Now our steps are no longer slippery and actually have a somewhat clean grip to them. What did I do? "TFP". That was it. I my case, I later learned that even though my water was "clear", there was a film on every pool surface (walls too) that I could not see. I thought it was a normal feeling. Only after I followed the tried & true method of balancing FC with CYA properly, are my pool surfaces no longer slippery. Perhaps your Caribbean steps are slightly different than our Poseidon, but I just had to throw that info out there for consideration before you did anything drastic. If your water is TFP balanced and you know for sure your FC and CYA are in-synch with no possibility of increased CCs or algae that you can't even see, then I suppose some sort of grip support would be your next option. Either way, I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you.

I am confident that my levels are right on with TFP. I test daily and adjust accordingly, religiously. FC, CC, CYA, TA, CA, PH, etc ...
But I understand where you are coming from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.