Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass pool with slippery stairs - Solutions??

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass pool with slippery stairs - Solutions??

Hi TFP,
    I have a fiberglass pool that I chose not to have a rail installed. I like the "natural" look. But the entry stairs into the pool are a bit slippery. It does have a little texture to it but not enough to stop anyone from slipping if they are not careful.
    What can I do to fix that? I was thinking anti-slip tape but most do not work/stick if you try to install them underwater.
    Thoughts/ideas??? Thanks.
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass pool with slippery stairs - Solutions??

I suppose you could drain the water below the steps you want taped and apply it when dry. Otherwise, I don't have a suggestion off the top of my head at the moment.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Patrick_B,
    That would make sense but the problem is that I would have to drain the pool all the way down to the last step which is almost at the bottom of the pool. Not to mention, that would void my warranty since the pool is never to be drained below the skimmer, per manufacturer.
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I believe that you can purchase some grip strips that you can put on the fiberglas steps that are similar to the ones that disabled people use in bathtubs to prevent slipping? I have no idea where to find, and they could look cheesey but would solve your issue and probably be able to be installed under water.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've seen a lot of those online but most of them require they be installed when the surface is dry. They even have clear ones.
    The search continues...

6. Back To Top    #6

build a sandbag wall around the steps, pump out the water inside the wall with a few sump pumps and stick on some strips!
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

ashmoussa, I too have a Viking pool. Now this comment may seem completely backward from everyone else's thinking, but I'm just going to throw it out there because it happened to me.... before TFP. I hope you take no offense to this comment regarding your pool care. But in our first season, me and the family were constantly slipping on our steps, especially the bottom two that had a slight angle to them. It was ridiculous. Now our steps are no longer slippery and actually have a somewhat clean grip to them. What did I do? "TFP". That was it. I my case, I later learned that even though my water was "clear", there was a film on every pool surface (walls too) that I could not see. I thought it was a normal feeling. Only after I followed the tried & true method of balancing FC with CYA properly, are my pool surfaces no longer slippery. Perhaps your Caribbean steps are slightly different than our Poseidon, but I just had to throw that info out there for consideration before you did anything drastic. If your water is TFP balanced and you know for sure your FC and CYA are in-synch with no possibility of increased CCs or algae that you can't even see, then I suppose some sort of grip support would be your next option. Either way, I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hmmm ... That sounds logical. But I honestly don't know if you're joking or for real. Lol haha

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, no kidding. We each lost a lot of "cool points" busting our butts going into the pool our first season. I had to do a SLAM in 2014, and after the SLAM, the entire pool felt different - squeaky clean. It was our first FB pool, so we didn't know any different. We no longer slip on the stairs, and the walls are no longer slippery either. When I saw your post, I figured I'd throw that info out there "just in case" it gives you something else to consider and you find out something similar might be happening to your new pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    ashmoussa, I too have a Viking pool. Now this comment may seem completely backward from everyone else's thinking, but I'm just going to throw it out there because it happened to me.... before TFP. I hope you take no offense to this comment regarding your pool care. But in our first season, me and the family were constantly slipping on our steps, especially the bottom two that had a slight angle to them. It was ridiculous. Now our steps are no longer slippery and actually have a somewhat clean grip to them. What did I do? "TFP". That was it. I my case, I later learned that even though my water was "clear", there was a film on every pool surface (walls too) that I could not see. I thought it was a normal feeling. Only after I followed the tried & true method of balancing FC with CYA properly, are my pool surfaces no longer slippery. Perhaps your Caribbean steps are slightly different than our Poseidon, but I just had to throw that info out there for consideration before you did anything drastic. If your water is TFP balanced and you know for sure your FC and CYA are in-synch with no possibility of increased CCs or algae that you can't even see, then I suppose some sort of grip support would be your next option. Either way, I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you.
    I am confident that my levels are right on with TFP. I test daily and adjust accordingly, religiously. FC, CC, CYA, TA, CA, PH, etc ...
    But I understand where you are coming from.

11. Back To Top    #11

Roger that. Well then, I hope one of the above suggestions will help. Like you, we opted to not get the handrail. We liked the clean, unobstructed look into the pool. Good luck!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Texas and Austin. I appreciate your responses.

13. Back To Top    #13

Anyone ever experience inlay tiles on the steps of a fiberglass pool? We are wondering if we should order our pool with inlays on the steps to add traction and markers to show the steps better.

ac