Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cooling Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cooling Pool

So like everyone else here down south we are having 100+ degree days which is keeping the pool temp in the 90's during the day. My current pump schedule is 5am-5pm on low speed with a 1.5 hour cleaning cycle at mid speed. Normal circulation is with 5 returns in pool and (3) 1/2" bubblers on the sundeck which is cut back to minimal flow. I also have 4 deck jets I can turn on. I've seen the many different spray bars, pipes and or jets. Have even built a few myself. That's not the issue. Here's where my question come in at. Currently have two homemade spray bars on one side of the pool. So that takes up two of the 5 returns. What I am noticing is when those two spray bars are connected the other three returns in the pool pick up in velocity(easiest way out) and I don't get as good of a spray pattern from them as I would want. I could add spray bars to the other three returns as well fairly easily. But would that mess with my water chemistry?? Just not sure I could turn the pool over once a day with just the spray bars. Any suggestions??

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cooling Pool

First things first......there is no need to "turn the pool over once a day." I'd cut your current run time at least in half and split it up to aerate at night.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

And the only effect it will have running sprayers is making your pH rise faster. Otherwise, none.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

So adding more spray nozzles or blocking off returns to get more spray action will not change my water chemistry in my gunite pool other than PH?

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

5. Back To Top    #5

It should not have any big effect, the whole turns per day thing is a rule of thumb that has been taken way too seriously by way too many people. Each pool is different on the amount of circulation it needs for adequate filtration and that one turn per day rule of thumb when it comes to pump sizing is in reality often WAY more flow than is needed. In general we suggest keep turning your filter run time down until you notice water clarity problems then bump the run time up a notch. Many members here get by on only 3-4 hours of pump run time per day, often the limiting factor is skimming action and not actually filtration.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

At least part of the south is having what I would call, a fairly mild summer. I think in middle TN, we're on our fourth cold front since the beginning of July. We've had some stretch of days in the mid 90s for highs, low-to-mid 70s for lows, which is about average for July/August. However, each of these 4 fronts coming through right in the middle of what is usually the hottest days for us, have broken up those mid-90 days and have brought us a couple of days relief, bringing in mid 80s and low 60s or even upper 50s, respectively. I think though, if I remember correctly, most of these fronts have stayed east of the big river, so I guess it's been much different farther west.

We're currently on the second morning of our fourth cold front where the jet stream has dropped down into the southeast. The current temperature in Cookeville, as I write, is 59. During the last cold front, I got in my 7500 gallon pool; looked at the temp. gauge; it showed 72. It'll probably go even lower this time around.

Overall, down towards Nashville-Atlanta-Huntsville direction, it's not been very hot. I'm looking at the forecast this week for Nashville; highs are showing 89-90-91-88; not exactly typical for mid-August on this eastern end. Not sure how these fronts have affected folks in the east end deeper down south, but in the mid-south, it's been much milder than usual.
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

What I am noticing is when those two spray bars are connected the other three returns in the pool pick up in velocity(easiest way out) and I don't get as good of a spray pattern from them as I would want.
    You could reduce the size of your eyeball fittings on the other returns. You could even make a temporary cap over one or all of them to force the flow out of the spray bars.

If your main concern is water chemistry, simply try it and see what develops. You'll likely get some pH rise but that's easy to deal with. Your TA may drop but that is easily dealt with also.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a friend with an older pool in which his "returns" are just straight unthreaded pipes set back in the plaster. He can't put an eyeball on them or close them off with a capped one. He shoves wine bottle corks in them to get his aerating pressure up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!