Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low pH - what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Low pH - what to do?

Pool is about 3 weeks old. For the last 10 days or so I've kept the water nice and balanced. Typically FC 4-6, ph 7.5, TA 80, CH 350, CYA 50, Borates 50. The plaster company was just leaving when I pulled in today. I THINK they were here looking at parts of my plaster where they didn't do a good job exposing the aggregate. That or cleaning plaster residue off the water line tile. I didn't get a chance to ask. What I did find however is that they jacked my chemistry. Apparently they added a bunch of acid. I came home to find my pH at 6.4 and TA at 40. Should I just let both rise on their own? Being new plaster the pH comes up pretty quick.
    IG 13,000 gal, WetEdge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue, Hayward C4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar VS main pump, Hayward Tristar VS feature pump, Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward Sense & Dispense (pH only), Stenner 45MPHP22 bleach, Hayward H400FDN Heater, Hayward Color UCL lights, Pentair LED Bubblers. TF-100 XL test kit. Test Results. Build Thread.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Low pH - what to do?

I don't have an answer but I'd get on the phone and call the pool company or if you have a home number. That's a pretty big investment to take a chance on. If you're following their advise and something goes wrong best it's their advise and you're documenting what's going on.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm interested to know how you tested PH down to 6.4...................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a ph probe on my sense and dispense which has so far matched all my testing. It was reporting 6.4. I tested and the color guestimate seemed pretty close to the same. PB texted back saying they were using acid to clean the tile and not to worry about it. So it seems to be a result of them using acid to clean. Should I let them both rise back on their own? Or treat to bring them up?
    IG 13,000 gal, WetEdge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue, Hayward C4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar VS main pump, Hayward Tristar VS feature pump, Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward Sense & Dispense (pH only), Stenner 45MPHP22 bleach, Hayward H400FDN Heater, Hayward Color UCL lights, Pentair LED Bubblers. TF-100 XL test kit. Test Results. Build Thread.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would raise the TA to 60 and then retest in about 8 hours.