Aqua Rite Wiring, Run Time....?

jimbowrench

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Littleton, CO
I had a pool timer failure early this summer which required me to replace the timer (Intermatic mechanical). When I rewired the new timer I wired it to switch on/off my SWG with the pump. According to the owner's manual this seems how it is supposed to be wired. When originally installed, the SWG was on all the time regardless of the pump operation, and obviously only generating when there was flow.

The questions I have are based on the assumption that the SWG generates for a given amount of time based on the percentage desired relative to time. So with it set at 50% for a 6-hour pump run time, it would generate for 3-hours.

What is the percentage based on? Average run time? 24-hours?

Does it cycle on and off at short durations? How does the SWG determine the time based on the percentage?

Does the SWG need constant power to keep track of time?

When the SWG was wired to be powered all the time, I would see the "Clean/Inspect light a couple of times during the season. I haven't seen it yet this season.

The reason I am asking is everything was going along fine this summer, left the pool while traveling for days on end, no problem. On a recent trip, I returned to find cloudy water with no FC and the LED on the SWG indicating it was generating. I scrolled through the diagnostics and the volts was at 30 and the amps was at 0. Switched it of and on and the volts and amps indicated is was generating. I SLAMed the pool back into shape, and now I have to leave again in a few days for a week, and I am a bit concerned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

With Firmware Revision 1.55 (5/8/2009) the cycle time (reverses polarity) changed from 120 minutes (2 hrs) to 180 minutes (3 hrs). When you set the ‘Desired Output %’ dial on the main panel this sets the level of salt cell operation as a percent of the operating time of each cycle. 50% is the factory default. Below are simple examples for 2 and 3 hr cycle times.
• 2 hr cycle If the output is set at 50% and the total time for operation is 8 hrs, the salt cell will operate (and produce chlorine) for 50% (1 hr) of each 2hr cycle for a total of 4 hrs.
• 3 hr cycle If the output is set at 50% and the total time for operation is 9 hrs, the salt cell will operate (and produce chlorine) for 50% (1.5 hrs) of each 3 hrs cycle for a total of 4.5 hrs
If the pump run time is not a whole number multiple of the cycle time, then the percentage won't match exactly.

For example, with a two hour cycle and a 9 hour pump run time at a setting of 50 %, you would get 5 hours of production, which would be 56 %.

If the pump run time is not a whole number multiple of the cycle time, then the percentage won't match exactly.

For example, with a two hour cycle and a 9 hour pump run time at a setting of 50 %, you would get 5 hours of production, which would be 56 %.

OK, that makes sense, but how does the SWG know the desired total time of operation? Say I set the timer for 8 hours for a while, and it make chlorine for 1-hour for each 2-hours of operation, then I move the pins on the timer to a pump time of 9-hours, how would it know to produce chlorine for 1.5-hours of every 3-hours of operation versus the original 1-hour for every 2.

It all seems so simple when it works, but when you have a problem....... I am just trying to understand.

Thanks James!

The software revision determines the cycle time. If you go through the diagnostics, you will see a number like r 1.40 or r 1.55 etc.

r1.55 and higher use a three hour cycle time.

Whenever the pump comes on, a new cycle begins. After the percentage of the cycle is over, the unit turns off production for the rest of the cycle. Then the unit reverses polarity and a new cycle begins. This continues until the pump turns off and resumes when the pump comes back on.

For automation, where the automation controls the pump and chlorinator, it might adjust output to make the actual percentage match pump run time percentage, but I don't know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.