Green pool for 10 days, today finally a bluish/cloudy..to keep adding chlorine?

Jamie! You did it! Your numbers look pretty good. I am going to give you a couple of links to read over and help you do what needs to be done.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This link is SO neat! It is Pool Math that does all of the math work for you. Now I will tell you that is can be overwhelming so I want you to take your time and play with it before you add any thing to your water.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Okay so with those links sent here is what you see you needing to do.........

-Lower your CYA. As you can see form the link about levels your CYA should be around 40 or so. You lower CYA by........draining water. Use pool math and tell us what it says for your pool.

-Your TA is high BUT since you will be draining water we will lower that way instead of the normal way.

How does your water look?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

and YES some of the test can be subjective.

Okay so now you are ready for you next step..........SLAM. I am going to give you two links. You are going to have to find YOUR best place to buy bleach----------plain bleach with at least 8.25%. Walmart's Great Value works fine. Make sure the date code is no more than 3 months old.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

These two links go hand in hand to get your pool clear!

Kim

Use the Pool Math link I gave you above. Your siggy is not filled out so I do not know how many gallons your pool is.

I am going to pretend it is 1000 gals. Just so you can see what I am doing.

In pool math I put 1000 gals in the top box that says size

In the FC box I put 24 in the NOW box (NOW and GOAL are in the brown box at the top) as that is what you said it was in the post for your levels. In the FC GOAL box I put 28 because that is your SLAM goal with a CYA of 70.

I then clicked on the button that says Calculate (also in the top brown box). Pool math says you should add 6.1 oz of 8% bleach.

Liquid chlorine is great if it is new within 3 months. It might even be 11% instead of 8%. The % should be on the bottle.

I hope this helps!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can and it help it from getting any worse.

Use pool math to tell you how much water to drain to get your CYA down to 30. I am getting 57% of your water needs to be drained. BUT do NOT drain it so much that you will less than a foot of water in your shallow end. You do not want any problems.

PLEASE ask and all questions you have!

I am heading to bed. I start back to work tomorrow after being off for the summer ( I am a teacher) so I need to get my poor body and mind rested! LOL

Kim

Good night and good luck to you this year!! I find draining 1/2 my pool water a bit much?! Especially if I am not even certain the tests were done right by me!!:) maybe I will retest that again tomorrow. That just seems like overkill, since our water is looking better all the time, makes me think if we keep on the chlorine and filter it should resolve. But what do I know? :). Thx for your help!

Good Night Kim.

Hello Jamie,

Since you're just learning this stuff, I just did a quick calculation on your pool size, current FC, Goal FC, current CYA, and that you are using 10% chlorine.

By my calculations using Pool Math, the 1/2 gallon you added, (which is equal to 64 oz), is not quite enough.

According to Pool Math you need to add 82 ounces to raise the current FC level of 24 to your Goal FC level of 28. (that is 2 quarts (which is a half a gallon) PLUS 2 more cups.

To use Pool Math Calculator

Make sure your gallons at the top where it says SIZE says 16,000,

Make sure your CYA in the Middle Yellow CYA section says 70 on the NOW (1st box),

Make sure your FC is 24 on the NOW (1st box) and 28 on the GOAL and that your % to the right of that says 10%

After you click to Calculate. If you just move your mouse curser over the FC SECTION (top Yellow section) where it says ADD on the 1st line in the top yellow section (that top section is for Liquid chlorine the ones just below it are for Dry chlorine and you won't be using that lol we Hope). The amount needed will appear at the top just above it for you. :)

Go ahead and Give it a try, and you'll be a wiz at it before you know it. :) You might want to go ahead and also add 2 more cups of chlorine to equal your 81 oz too .

I hope this helps. Feel free to holler back if you have any problems, we are all here to help. Have a Wonderful Night.

Jamie I DO understand your worry. You know what???? REtest your CYA and do the test outside in the sun like this

-full sun where you are doing the test

-turn so your back is to the sun

-hold the tube at waist

-put the test water into the tube a little at a time

-do NOT stare at the water-look quickly if you can see see the dot add some more

-when you cannot see the dot after glancing at it you are done.

You can and should redo the test with the same water. There is no reason to not redo the test several times to make sure. It IS a hard test to do.

After you do the test use Pool Math and see what it says. There is nothing wrong with only draining 20% of your water and seeing what that does. You can always drain again if needed.

Kim

The Frog level us set low, at 2. I am just hesitant to turn it off completely:)
Why? That device is adding more CYA to your water all the time. Your CYA is already high, and you don't need more of the stuff. Chlorine is chlorine, and the chlorine demands of the pool can be met entirely from the liquid product you are pouring in.

Are you concerned that pool chemistry will somehow go downhill without the Frog running? Or just reluctant to believe that you have a piece of installed pool equipment that will no longer be of much use to you?

So....do I just stand pat on the chlorine for now? Also, anything to speed up the clearing of the cloudiness? And, Idon't really think I am going to have enough reagent to do many more chlorine tests, at the rate of 63 drops at a time!!��. ?????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.