berger

Aug 11, 2015
Shoreline
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am a new member of TFP. I have recently slammed my pool to kill an algae problem, and have been waiting for the filter to clear the dead algae in the water about 1 1/2 weeks. The pool is nearly clear now. I have been adding sparkle up to the filter to enhance filtration of the very fine particulate left in the pool. I bought a new filter at the beginning of the process because the old one was 22 years old and the diverter valve was getting too worn out to rebuild again.
I bought a Game, Sand Pro 75D, which comes with a 3/4 HP pump motor with a 12" filter. The pool store told me they were using glass media on all their pools and it was better than the good old #20 silica sand that had served me so well on my previous filter. So I paid 3X the price to get the "GOOD" stuff.
I ran the set up for 3 days with no noticeable change in the cloudiness of the water, and the pressure side stayed at 8PSI the whole time. It was obvious to me that the particulate was going straight through the filter, not catching anything. I began to add sparkle up and very slowly I started seeing results. The pressure would build to no more than 18 PSI before I backwashed and started again. At that pressure the pump would not make enough flow to keep going so I would backwash.
I don't remember having this issue with the 'OLD" sand. There were times that the pool would clear in 1 day when I opened it. I believe the sand is finer than the glass, and I am presently going to replace the glass with sand. Thoughts?

The glass media I was given is Vitroclean. I did not do a side by side comparison vs the #20 silica sand that I had been using because I had already thrown it out. I do remember thinking as I was poring it in that it seemed coarser. Its very inconvenient and expensive to add sparkle up after every backwash. Is the dead algae particulate finer than every day stuff the filter deals with? This was the first time I had to kill an algae bloom so maybe this isn't normal filtering having to take place in this situation. I have not tried adding DE and have no experience with it. Is it cheaper?

That's right. I have been taking advice from people who really don't know what they are talking about. They just kids, who are selling Aqua-quip's products. That's why I am here now. I get my test kit next week and I'll start doing it myself. I'm glad I found you guys. Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.