Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter media too coarse

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Sand filter media too coarse

I am a new member of TFP. I have recently slammed my pool to kill an algae problem, and have been waiting for the filter to clear the dead algae in the water about 1 1/2 weeks. The pool is nearly clear now. I have been adding sparkle up to the filter to enhance filtration of the very fine particulate left in the pool. I bought a new filter at the beginning of the process because the old one was 22 years old and the diverter valve was getting too worn out to rebuild again.
    I bought a Game, Sand Pro 75D, which comes with a 3/4 HP pump motor with a 12" filter. The pool store told me they were using glass media on all their pools and it was better than the good old #20 silica sand that had served me so well on my previous filter. So I paid 3X the price to get the "GOOD" stuff.
    I ran the set up for 3 days with no noticeable change in the cloudiness of the water, and the pressure side stayed at 8PSI the whole time. It was obvious to me that the particulate was going straight through the filter, not catching anything. I began to add sparkle up and very slowly I started seeing results. The pressure would build to no more than 18 PSI before I backwashed and started again. At that pressure the pump would not make enough flow to keep going so I would backwash.
    I don't remember having this issue with the 'OLD" sand. There were times that the pool would clear in 1 day when I opened it. I believe the sand is finer than the glass, and I am presently going to replace the glass with sand. Thoughts?
    16' round Doughboy AGP. Printed vinyl liner. 6,000 Gallons. Game Sand Master 75B filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter media too coarse

I have read many threads where they were sorry about changing to the glass. It just does not work as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a plan.

Have you ever added a smidgeon of DE to your sand filter to increase its pickup of very small particles? It might help speed things up once you return to the sand.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I haven't read too much good about sand replacements here. Be sure that what you're getting is pool sand. Good stuff. Study it before you pour it in. My findings on how not all sand is created equal
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Note also we have a couple of members in Texas and Louisiana who have had problems with Quikrete brand pool sand lately, possibly a labelling / packing mistake.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

The glass media I was given is Vitroclean. I did not do a side by side comparison vs the #20 silica sand that I had been using because I had already thrown it out. I do remember thinking as I was poring it in that it seemed coarser. Its very inconvenient and expensive to add sparkle up after every backwash. Is the dead algae particulate finer than every day stuff the filter deals with? This was the first time I had to kill an algae bloom so maybe this isn't normal filtering having to take place in this situation. I have not tried adding DE and have no experience with it. Is it cheaper?
    16' round Doughboy AGP. Printed vinyl liner. 6,000 Gallons. Game Sand Master 75B filter

7. Back To Top    #7

DE is cheap for people adding it to their sand filters. I bought 20 lbs for $20. I use about 1 cup of it every month or so. The 20 lb box will probably last me until 2025...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

It does take a while to filter out dead algae, however we have not had a lot of positive comments from folks who use glass filter media.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

berger - I know what happened. You even said it yourself; "The pool store told me..."

That's where the trouble began.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

That's right. I have been taking advice from people who really don't know what they are talking about. They just kids, who are selling Aqua-quip's products. That's why I am here now. I get my test kit next week and I'll start doing it myself. I'm glad I found you guys. Thanks for the help!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

It is usually recommended to backwash when you reach 25% over your clean PSI on the pump gauge. At 8PSi, your backwash would be done around 10, if I am thinking correctly.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!