Pool is slimy and green!!!!

Aug 11, 2015
Mansfield,Tx
Where do I begin!!??? We just bought this house less then a year ago. It was a "fixer upper" but the home inspector said the pool was "not in not bad shape"...�� he said it just had "cosmetic issues". First time to own a pool. So far the kids have loved it. The pool is 20 years old. It needs to be resurfaced and has settled quite a bit on one end. So much so that we had to disable one of the skimmers since the water does not reach it to flow into it. Everything we've done with the pool so far as far as care, has been from watching you tube videos. My husband is very handy around the house. ��

When we got back from a weekend away and I think our pump might have gone out cause the pool is completely green with algae and there is not water being pulled out when I turn the pump on. When I turn on the pump it makes a weird noise. We have no trees or shade at all. It has been over 100 degrees everyday so it's gotten bad fast. We called a pool guy who said he could put a new pump in on Friday at the earliest, for about $600 unless my husband wanted to try to do it himself.

i have no idea if that's even a good idea for my husband to attempt that, even if he is a handyman. And our car is in the shop and is going to cost $500 so we really don't have the money for this right now but it doesn't look like we have a choice.

Not it sure what to do to help it not turn solid green with algae till it can get fixed.

Any my advice at all would be so wonderful.

20k with spa IG Plaster DE
1081 pool motor- Emerson model- k63cxera-4768
PB4 booster pump
filter- hayword c-1100-SEP

Attachments

• IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4765.jpg
    IMG_4765.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9087.jpg
    IMG_9087.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
can you post photos of the pool and the equipment? specifically the pump & motor and the plumbing connections to it.

If it has threaded unions on both ends of the pump assembly, you might be able to easily replace it yourselves.

Pool Completely Green

Threads Merged by Moderator

Where do I begin!!??? We just bought this house less then a year ago. It was a "fixer upper" but the home inspector said the pool was "not in not bad shape"...�� he said it just had "cosmetic issues". First time to own a pool. So far the kids have loved it. The pool is 20 years old. It needs to be resurfaced and has settled quite a bit on one end. So much so that we had to disable one of the skimmers since the water does not reach it to flow into it. Everything we've done with the pool so far as far as care, has been from watching you tube videos. My husband is very handy around the house. ��

When we got back from a weekend away and I think our pump might have gone out cause the pool is completely green with algae and there is not water being pulled out when I turn the pump on. When I turn on the pump it makes a weird noise. We have no trees or shade at all. It has been over 100 degrees everyday so it's gotten bad fast. We called a pool guy who said he could put a new pump in on Friday at the earliest, for about $600 unless my husband wanted to try to do it himself.

i have no idea if that's even a good idea for my husband to attempt that, even if he is a handyman. And our car is in the shop and is going to cost $500 so we really don't have the money for this right now but it doesn't look like we have a choice.

Not it sure what to do to help it not turn solid green with algae till it can get fixed.

Any my advice at all would be so wonderful.

20k with spa IG Plaster DE
1081 pool motor- Emerson model- k63cxera-4768
PB4 booster pump
filter- hayword c-1100-SEP

Attachments

• IMG_9087.jpg
    IMG_9087.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68
Re: Pool Completely Green

Replacing the motor IS something your hubby can do if he knows anything about electricity like to turn off the breaker! My husband did ours.

You say you tested the water. What test did you use?

You really need to do a SLAM like posted above.

We can help you get and keep your pool clear.

Kim

Re: Pool Completely Green

- - - Updated - -
I used an All Clear 4 way test kit from Walmart. In a blue box. It was in the garage when we bought the house. I just read the directions. My pump is out so can I still add liquid chlorine if there isn't any circulation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome!

Welcome!

You can try to battle the water chemistry issues in parallel with the pump issues, but it will be an uphill battle without good circulation and filtering. You would need to brush constantly. You can add a few jugs a day to try to mitigate, but add a quart at a time and brush to mix. Keeping leaf raking/skimming any debris until you get one of the recommended test kits and the pump is replaced or fixed. Maybe just maybe the impeller is jammed up or something simple.