Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool is slimy and green!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool is slimy and green!!!!

Where do I begin!!??? We just bought this house less then a year ago. It was a "fixer upper" but the home inspector said the pool was "not in not bad shape"...�� he said it just had "cosmetic issues". First time to own a pool. So far the kids have loved it. The pool is 20 years old. It needs to be resurfaced and has settled quite a bit on one end. So much so that we had to disable one of the skimmers since the water does not reach it to flow into it. Everything we've done with the pool so far as far as care, has been from watching you tube videos. My husband is very handy around the house. ��

When we got back from a weekend away and I think our pump might have gone out cause the pool is completely green with algae and there is not water being pulled out when I turn the pump on. When I turn on the pump it makes a weird noise. We have no trees or shade at all. It has been over 100 degrees everyday so it's gotten bad fast. We called a pool guy who said he could put a new pump in on Friday at the earliest, for about $600 unless my husband wanted to try to do it himself.

i have no idea if that's even a good idea for my husband to attempt that, even if he is a handyman. And our car is in the shop and is going to cost $500 so we really don't have the money for this right now but it doesn't look like we have a choice.

Not it sure what to do to help it not turn solid green with algae till it can get fixed.

Any my advice at all would be so wonderful.

20k with spa IG Plaster DE
    1081 pool motor- Emerson model- k63cxera-4768
    PB4 booster pump
    filter- hayword c-1100-SEP
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool is slimy and green!!!!

can you post photos of the pool and the equipment? specifically the pump & motor and the plumbing connections to it.

If it has threaded unions on both ends of the pump assembly, you might be able to easily replace it yourselves.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm having trouble finding how to do that. I have three photos I'm trying to post but there is no way to find them in my picture folder.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool Completely Green

Threads Merged by Moderator

Where do I begin!!??? We just bought this house less then a year ago. It was a "fixer upper" but the home inspector said the pool was "not in not bad shape"...�� he said it just had "cosmetic issues". First time to own a pool. So far the kids have loved it. The pool is 20 years old. It needs to be resurfaced and has settled quite a bit on one end. So much so that we had to disable one of the skimmers since the water does not reach it to flow into it. Everything we've done with the pool so far as far as care, has been from watching you tube videos. My husband is very handy around the house. ��

When we got back from a weekend away and I think our pump might have gone out cause the pool is completely green with algae and there is not water being pulled out when I turn the pump on. When I turn on the pump it makes a weird noise. We have no trees or shade at all. It has been over 100 degrees everyday so it's gotten bad fast. We called a pool guy who said he could put a new pump in on Friday at the earliest, for about $600 unless my husband wanted to try to do it himself.

i have no idea if that's even a good idea for my husband to attempt that, even if he is a handyman. And our car is in the shop and is going to cost $500 so we really don't have the money for this right now but it doesn't look like we have a choice.

Not it sure what to do to help it not turn solid green with algae till it can get fixed.

Any my advice at all would be so wonderful.

20k with spa IG Plaster DE
    1081 pool motor- Emerson model- k63cxera-4768
    PB4 booster pump
    filter- hayword c-1100-SEP
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Pool Completely Green

Sure looks like algae. What did the water look like before you left?

Do you have a set of water test results to share?

Why a photo of the pump motor -- did it conk out while you were gone?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, boy. Start reading here http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

Welcome, you are at the right place
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

I tested it and it showed zero chlorine and 7.8 ph.
    We swam all week last week. Water was clear blue.
    The motor was making a weird noise when I turned it on manually. It's usually on a timer along with the polaris.

8. Back To Top    #8

Replacing the motor IS something your hubby can do if he knows anything about electricity like to turn off the breaker! My husband did ours.

You say you tested the water. What test did you use?

You really need to do a SLAM like posted above.

We can help you get and keep your pool clear.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

- - - Updated - -
    I used an All Clear 4 way test kit from Walmart. In a blue box. It was in the garage when we bought the house. I just read the directions. My pump is out so can I still add liquid chlorine if there isn't any circulation?

10. Back To Top    #10

I like to use TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting to upload pictures here.

I just want to say that while your pool is obviously a bit sick and green...it looks like a marvelous pool! I like the shape a lot.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Mods can you merge threads?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Apparently. Today is my first day on here.

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome!

Welcome!

You can try to battle the water chemistry issues in parallel with the pump issues, but it will be an uphill battle without good circulation and filtering. You would need to brush constantly. You can add a few jugs a day to try to mitigate, but add a quart at a time and brush to mix. Keeping leaf raking/skimming any debris until you get one of the recommended test kits and the pump is replaced or fixed. Maybe just maybe the impeller is jammed up or something simple.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir