Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: single pump design?

1. Back To Top    #1

single pump design?

We need suggestions if we are doing something wrong. The PB is suggesting using a common pump for water feature, spa, and pool. We are worried that may create problems esp if salt water starts eroding the rocks and we want to cutoff the water feature.

We are in the process of bidding on pool construction and have read through a number of forum posts and pool school, which has been very helpful.
    We are planning a build in North Texas (DFW area), pool size is about 88 ft in perimeter ~ 35ft x20 ft, ~15,000 gallons. It will have a separate standard size spa 7ft -8 ft, and about 12 ft of weeping waterfall. The pool is going to have a salt water cell.

Equipment to be installed.
    hayward tristar two speed
    single pump for pool, spa, water feature
    Aqua Rite TCl-15 salt cell
    hayward 60 s.q ft D.E filter
    Polaris 280 with booster pump + Xleaf Debri remover
    400k BTU heater for spa
    sundek decking
    tennesse flagstone coping
    STONE SCAPES decking
    no automatic remote (just key pad)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: single pump design?

One pump works fine for me for the spa and the pool. I don't have a waterfall.

A separate pump for that would be my choice. You won't ever be heating that water, so why run it through the heater? And it may drive up pH or just plain be too noisy to run it all the time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Wouldn't it have a valve to divert the water? You should be able to control the flow in cases where you have water features.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

I have 1 pump for my pool, spa and water feature. The water feature is pre plummet for later install. The pump is variable speed which is good and there are valves for all 3.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto going with the one pump set up coupled with separate valves to turn on or off the water feature. So long as pump rating is adequate, should work fine with one pump. I have a pool spa combo and waterfall feature with a common pump and could not be happier with this setup. Divertor valves for all three are remote controlled so a touch of a button and waterfall is either on or off.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep - one pump here as well.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

One pump works fine for pool and waterfall, unless you want to run the waterfall more frequently and don't want to put the hours on your main filter pump. In that case you could go with a smaller pump which runs at lower volume with better efficiency, but with modern variable speed pumps, you can have simpler plumbing and set the RPM where you want it for water feature flow.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I am going to give you a different opinion. Our PB insisted on 2 pumps, 1 for pool and spa, and 1 for water feature. He told us if we used 1 pump for everything and tried to have spa on full power and water feature going that the water feature would not get enough water and spa will not have the power we wanted. So we went with 3hp Pentair VS for pool and spa. At full speed the spa rocks! We used a single speed for water feature ( 3 water falls on wall ) and they always look "full" when they are on. Everything is controlled by the Pentair Easytouch system. Just another way to consider.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

9. Back To Top    #9

That 3hp must really kick butt on full speed, as I have a single spped 2HP with water feature, dual spill over and rooftop solar with good results. If you weren't too worried about energy concumption and ran the VS at the full HP, I thin it would easily handle the load of everything on full power. But then full power of the VS 3Hp would seem to defeat the costs savings of a VS running it lower speeds (and thus less water being pushed, so to speak).

My 2 Hp single speed runs a large water feature + pumps the water up to 2nd story solar panels + has a healthy dual spill over spa (i.e very strong flow). I've always wondered if I could get away with a 1.5 HP, as I understand that dropping down by just 1/2 hp equals a surprising large savings in power consumption. But then I start to worry...will my dual spill over spa throw out a vigorous "water fall" effect; or will I see some breaks in that water spill over because it is underpowered with a 1.5 HP (i.e. spill over sorta looking anemic). It's not like I can "test drive" a 1.5 HP pump. I guess I could if I had a variable speed pump.

I think if you are going with a variable speed, the two pump would make send: it would allow for less energy consumption by running the VS at a low, cost saving rate of speed; then running your other pump for the water feature at what you would hope nets you reasonable good energy consumption. Not an expert on this by any means. Just my two cents.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.