Sold house with a pool, bought another house...with a pool

No never found any kind of bond wire. I removed the rotted pieces of wood that previous owner had used to prop the pump/motor assembly up off
the ground and replaced with 2 bricks and a piece of tile.

Thought maybe the bond wire might be under that....nothing.

I don't think it's under the sand filter as there is a heavy plate it sits on.

Will my previous thought of attaching a lug to the ladder then running proper size copper wire in a groove on the decking then along the house
to the equipment help?

someone in this thread also mentioned tying that bond loop to the panel ground since they do that in Canada.

My initial gut thought is that might be a dangerous thing to do...having the ladder end up being connected to ground.

I reread the first posts again. I remember that I was confused. I still am. Where are these 'stray' voltages coming from? Everything is in contact with the ground. And each other through the water. So it should all be at the same potential. right?

I have no metal in my pool so I can't measure this for myself.

You can and should try to bond your metal ladder to an equipment ground (ground) in a panel or electrical box.

There is nothing dangerous about it and in fact, it is quite safe to do.

It isn't necessarily stray voltages to worry about but metal conducts electricity. In some crazy wild situation, perhaps your metal ladder accidentally gets a hot lead from your house connected to it and it is now live with 120 V. If that metal ladder is not connected to anything and a person touches the ladder...bad news. If that ladder is grounded, then the current will get sent back to the main panel of the house and it will trip the breaker that is protecting the circuit that somehow got connected to the metal ladder. Presto...the ladder is no longer live and the breaker did its job and your bonding wire that was connected to ground did its job.

This is no different than hooking the green/bare wire to your pump motor. If one of the hot wires in your pump motor somehow contacts the motor's metal housing and becomes energized, hooking up that ground will send the current back to the breaker and trip it. Presto...the motor's housing is no longer live.

Now the odds of your ladder getting energized this way are likely remote but it is better to be safe than sorry so if you can, I'd do it.

thanks 99. (haha seem to be thanking ye often lately)

I will definitely do that.

my brother has a concrete saw to cut the line in so the wire will be buried along the walkway for the short 3 foot length to the house foundation edge so that nobody ever trips over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just came home and noticed this..

emailed it to the pool co and asked their thoughts.

is this expected sometimes with custom measured vinyl in ground liners?

I have a serial number for the new liner so they "won't have to measure it again for next time."

Fortunately it is not seen from inside or looking from the patio.

The rest of it looks perfect. no creases or odd looking things every where else.

hhvjsPK.jpg

The shallow wall is no longer bulging out like it was this morning. it's flat like the rest of the pool now.

The gap between the water and the tile line is all uniformly spaced EXCEPT for the entire shallow end.

It's definitely stretching it more there and more than anywhere else in that there corner.

I wonder what would happen if you could warm that area up and push the liner up to sit better in the track?

How IS the liner attached?

I have a couple of ideas BUT I want you to talk to your PB first and see what he says.

Too me a "custom" liner should fit even better than one that is not. IF it does not they did not make it right. :(

Kim

It's a T track liner i think it's called. liner pushed into a metal ring around the pool with grooves...they poke it in there then
put these 12 inch plastic stick things in to secure it all the way around.

The liner itself seems to be fitted in the T track and not slipping but boy is it stretching the heck out of the "Tile" in that section.
The entire shallow end is slightly stretched more than the rest of the pool...the rest of the pool after the shallow end is perfectly aligned when the water got up to it just now.

Seems to be holding and almost at the fill line. I thought I saw a few other posts about this over the years with some folks
having that with their new custom made liner.

Ya let's see what he says. I posed the question in an open ended way to get an explanation and what the options are.

I have paid for the liner (custom made require deposit) but have not yet paid the final bill for labor to measure & install.

and they had to order some different type of return jet eye balls....the ones that were in there were not the proper kind apparently.

This company has a track record of great service and not charging for things I don't need where service is involved.
I won't speak to chemicals ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's filled.

I timed the fill and tested how long it took to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

The old paper work says 16,500 gallons.

Bucket calculations indicate 13,000.

Dosed it with bleach, added some calcium, a little acid and CYA (all half doses based on 13,000 gallons)
The CYA in a sock was fun. I just soaked it for awhile then squeezed the heck out of it until it all
dissolved. fore arm sore...reminded me of those grip spring exercise thingies from the 70's heh.

The pump main seal leaks a little...suspected that from the bit of corrosion stain near motor/wet end.

Skimmer suction is great...return jets not so much and the pressure gauge is broken. Will replace that asap.
I expected a lot more pressure for a 1.5 hp pump. my last house had 3/4 hp and was much much stronger. Though there are no eyeballs in at the moment which could account for that

This one is flowing from both returns just not as much as I thought it should.

A little bit of sand came out after I back washed & rinsed but just for a few seconds. might have just been dirt.

There is a sound kind of like sand moving around in the multiport valve when the pump is on...might need a new spider gasket.

lFXMQN6.jpg

I know that TFTestkits.net sells liquid filled ones that are highly thought of. Mine is still okay so I haven't tried them, but I've read good things around the forums.

BTW Yeah!! At least most of the important stuff seems to be working!! :whoot:

Yes, the gauge from tftestkits is QUITE nice. It is larger, glycerin-filled, and only goes to 30 psi so you have a bit more resolution to look at. No one needs a gauge that goes to 50-60 psi on their pool filters.

I replaced the entire top portion/ MPV on my sand filter during the Summer, and got a new gauge with it, but it was one of the regular ole non glycerin types. So please let us know what you think of the glycerin type gauge because I too have heard they work very well, and will probably go that route on my next gauge change too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.