Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: RAIN!!!! It is about to rain - my pool is HOT should I turn pumps on?

1. Back To Top    #1

RAIN!!!! It is about to rain - my pool is HOT should I turn pumps on?

It is 104 today - but we are about to have a storm blow in!!! (so excited!) Hoping the rain will cool my pool off some. I have an overfill drain - and I am already close to the top of it (I added water last night) - should I turn my pumps on to try to save the rain water and get it integrated - or should I leave them off while it rains?

The thunder is rolling!!!

My goal is cooling the pool down.

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG]Untitled by misplaced_texan_usaf, on Flickr[/IMG]
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: RAIN!!!! It is about to rain - my pool is HOT should I turn pumps on?

Depends on your comfort level with running your pump during a thunderstorm. Personally I have no problem with it, but some folks in more lightning prone parts might.

To get the most cooling you could run a fountain or waterfall if you have one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Depends on your comfort level with running your pump during a thunderstorm. Personally I have no problem with it, but some folks in more lightning prone parts might.

To get the most cooling you could run a fountain or waterfall if you have one.
    Perfect! I will get it running - and turn on my water features! TY!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest going outside and demanding that some of that rain go south/southwest a bit towards San Antonio. Please?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sunbaby,

google "pool cooler" on this forum. You can cool your pool on the cheap if you want to.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Sunbaby,

google "pool cooler" on this forum. You can cool your pool on the cheap if you want to.
    I have actually looked at that a few times! I have been running my waterfall and weeping wall at night and it has been dropping the temps by about 4 degrees - but by 6PM when I am ready to get in - the temps are back up to 89/90. Someone told me it had to do with the humidity that my features aren't cooling me down more at night. Do you think that I would get better cool down by running the PVC aerator instead? I am sure the hubby would love a trip to Home Depot

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I would suggest going outside and demanding that some of that rain go south/southwest a bit towards San Antonio. Please?
    If only it were that easy. We have thunder and a light sprinkle - but it looks like the cell split and is going around us Hopefully you guys can get some soon!
    ~Wendy

7. Back To Top    #7

You can come and get some of our rain in Tampa Bay area. . We have broken many rwcoords over the last 45 days.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

We had our first real rain in almost a month here in SW Louisiana today, it certainly helped to cool things off for a bit
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

its either feast or famine here in Texas this year. Tons of rain and monsoons like we had in spring time, and now not a drop in almost 2 months now. Oh well.

Sunbaby, the home made sprays really do work on cooling the pool a bit.
    there are store bought fountains too, but making your own is funner.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Well it looks like Conroe is getting wet now with the same storm we had about 3-4 hours ago
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

RUn the pool cooling fountain overnight and it will help a lot. At least that's been how we've had about a 5 degree loss since Skippy made ours.

Skippy's New Fountain
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks guys! We did finally get a storm through. It was tons of thunder and lightning & some nice heavy showers! It was awesome! On the downside, it hit about 10 minutes after U.S. And 10 friends hopped in the pool. We spent the evening sitting on the back porch, talking, laughing & watching the lighting.
    ~Wendy