Heater Rust

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

I have RayPak heater that about three years old and out of warranty. We cover it during the off season but it's exposed to elements April-November. The very bottom is rusting badly but I might be able to clean and paint with Rustoleum. It sits on a concrete slab.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thank you,

Gary R.

So on the inside bottom? If you did paint you need high heat paint as the burners are not that far from the bottom. I wonder, when you run the heater, do you ever hear a sizzling or dripping sound?

Yes, inside on the very bottom and I would guess on the outside bottom too. Haven't noticed any sizzling sounds, what would that suggest?

Many thanks for the response!

Gary R.

A dripping or sizzling sound would suggest condensation. If your heater is only 3 years old, it should have rust like you say on the bottom. Can you take and post a picture of it?

That looks like rusting from condensation. Do you have a manual bypass in the plumbing portion of the piping by the heater?

If you paint you need hi temp paint. I would find out first what causing the issue.

Hi Paul;

Many thanks for you response!

Yes, there is a manual by-pass for the heater. Rust-Oleum does make a high heat paint heat that should do the job.

On further inspection found a build up of pine needles under the heater so that may be part of the problem.

I assume there is a condensation port on the heater but not sure where it's located.

I sent a copy of the pics to the PB that installed the heater but will be surprised if they offer much help.

I'm comfortable removing the plumbing (gas & water) but a bit unsure how to proceed after that. If I can order a new bottom, etc. I think that would perhaps be the best.

Regards,

Gary R.

It's a much bigger chore removing the bottom than it's worth.

When you run the heater, do you open the manual bypass a little to allow some of the water to bypass the heater? This would prevent some of the condensation that I feel is the cause of your issue. Not sure how much the pine needles is part of the issue you have.

You'll obviously need to remove the burner tray to get at the bottom.

Hi Paul;

The manual for the pool heater has instructions for removal of the burner tray. It doesn't look too difficult.

Will open the by-pass slightly and as you mentioned. Obviously, not enough to lose pressure on the heater side.

Also, there's some rusting of the baffles on the topside too so probably more than pine needles causing the problem.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg534/chuckles4524/P1060223.jpg

[URL=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/chuckles4524/media/P1060224.jpg.html][/URL]

Thanks for all your help!

Gary R.

The discoloration of the heat exchanger is an issue as well. You have something going there with that unit. When I see that sometimes it's a sign of water spraying from a small leak. Definitely not a common sight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.