Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump tubing cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump tubing cracks

Installed a Stenner pump in the spring, and it has worked great---when working. About a month ago, I came home from vacation to find that the clear plastic tubing running from my tank to the pump had developed some cracks and the pump had lost suction. I figured the sun was degrading the plastic, so I ran new tubing and wrapped it.

Fastforward about a month: I go out today, and my tubing is cracked again--this time very close to where the tubing runs into the pump and was unwrapped. Now, I have lost suction again and am getting no injection.

Is this a common problem? Any other form of tubing I could run?
    14,800 gallons in-ground vinyl. sand filter. 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump tubing cracks

I'm looking into a Stenner and one of the options is a black UV resistant tubing, which would lead me to believe the other tubing options are not UV resistant.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, 440. I'll go on the hunt for UV resistant tubing
    14,800 gallons in-ground vinyl. sand filter. 1.5 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Who installed the stenner pump and is the tubing clear? If so the tubes are probably just water line for a fridge and will not handle sun and chemical degradation. There is nothing wrong with this approach because it is much cheaper and depending on the run from chemical tank to pump it probably wasn't sold with enough hose. You will probably pay 3x the cost for good hose, justify how often you need to replace the hose because it will cost around $1 per foot for good hose
    Service Manager for Gracia & Vigil. Specialize in concrete pools, commercial and residential, but if the pool is in the ground I can fix it!