Semi-Strong Chlorine Odor on SWG Pool

Jun 10, 2015
Slidell
I installed my pool and couple months ago, added all necessary chemicals and everything was going smoothly. Loved the saltwater feel, water was really clear, and no chlorine smell. I only had the 7 way test strips to test the water, with plans to get the TF-100 kit later on, but the strips showed everything in the ideal range. The TC/FC as shown on the test strip was around 2-3 with CYA of 70.

After a couple weeks, the pool began to start to smell like chlorine and not knowing much about pool chemistry I adjusted the chlorine levels lower (bad idea) because I thought there was too much chlorine. The chlorine smell got worse so I read all the good info on this website and found out I should have been upping the FC. After reading some of the info, I shocked the pool with chlorine levels around 28-29. and then let the level decrease to around 7-8 over about 5 days (no SWG). At this time I did not have the TF-100 kit. The chlorine smell seemed to reduce only slightly.

I just recently received the TF-100 kit, so I now know what my levels REALLY are. Recent test results are shown below. CC showed somewhere in between 0.0 and 0.5 since the test as performed is only accurate to 0.5. Any ideas on why I still have a semi-strong chlorine odor? Does CC need to be 0 to get rid of the odor?

Results
PH - 7.5
FC - 7
CC - 0.0-0.5
CH - 25
TA - 170
CYA - 60-70
Salt - 2600

I notice my salt and CH are low and my TA is high based on TFP recommended levels. Those will be corrected this week. Would this have anything to do with the chlorine odor?

Really frustrating to have a salt water pool and get out the pool smelling like I swam in a chlorine tablet pool. Please help!

Everything I've read here says the the odor comes from CCs. It usually means that the chlorine is working on something organic. Maybe algae hiding somewhere like ladders or skimmers. Even seen it hiding in the covers of drains and returns. Basically anything in the pool is suspect. What happened is when you let the FC get too low, the green meany got a foothold and now you are going to have to SLAM to get rid of it.

'Chlorine odor' is really chloromines...the FC is being translated into something else as the chlorine performs its sanitizing task. Get your CC's down to 0...keep shocking and do not stop until zero and the odor is gone.

Your TA is too high but FIRST, keep SLAMing and then we'll worry about the other numbers.

Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured I would have to SLAM again.

Once I SLAM, my FC level will be around 30. That's 60 drops to test the FC every night and morning. Anyway to adjust the FC test method so that I don't have to count 60 drops and use a good bit of the reagents?

Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured I would have to SLAM again.

Once I SLAM, my FC level will be around 30. That's 60 drops to test the FC every night and morning. Anyway to adjust the FC test method so that I don't have to count 60 drops and use a good bit of the reagents?

Yes, I just recently read about a way to do that. Instead of 10ml do 5ml and each drop is 1ppm. Accuracy is wacked but close enough for initial SLAM I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.