Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Semi-Strong Chlorine Odor on SWG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Semi-Strong Chlorine Odor on SWG Pool

I installed my pool and couple months ago, added all necessary chemicals and everything was going smoothly. Loved the saltwater feel, water was really clear, and no chlorine smell. I only had the 7 way test strips to test the water, with plans to get the TF-100 kit later on, but the strips showed everything in the ideal range. The TC/FC as shown on the test strip was around 2-3 with CYA of 70.

After a couple weeks, the pool began to start to smell like chlorine and not knowing much about pool chemistry I adjusted the chlorine levels lower (bad idea) because I thought there was too much chlorine. The chlorine smell got worse so I read all the good info on this website and found out I should have been upping the FC. After reading some of the info, I shocked the pool with chlorine levels around 28-29. and then let the level decrease to around 7-8 over about 5 days (no SWG). At this time I did not have the TF-100 kit. The chlorine smell seemed to reduce only slightly.

I just recently received the TF-100 kit, so I now know what my levels REALLY are. Recent test results are shown below. CC showed somewhere in between 0.0 and 0.5 since the test as performed is only accurate to 0.5. Any ideas on why I still have a semi-strong chlorine odor? Does CC need to be 0 to get rid of the odor?

Results
    PH - 7.5
    FC - 7
    CC - 0.0-0.5
    CH - 25
    TA - 170
    CYA - 60-70
    Salt - 2600

I notice my salt and CH are low and my TA is high based on TFP recommended levels. Those will be corrected this week. Would this have anything to do with the chlorine odor?

Really frustrating to have a salt water pool and get out the pool smelling like I swam in a chlorine tablet pool. Please help!
    Intex 15'x48" Above Ground Pool (Vinyl) with Intex SWG and Sand Filter
    4600 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Semi-Strong Chlorine Odor on SWG Pool

Everything I've read here says the the odor comes from CCs. It usually means that the chlorine is working on something organic. Maybe algae hiding somewhere like ladders or skimmers. Even seen it hiding in the covers of drains and returns. Basically anything in the pool is suspect. What happened is when you let the FC get too low, the green meany got a foothold and now you are going to have to SLAM to get rid of it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

'Chlorine odor' is really chloromines...the FC is being translated into something else as the chlorine performs its sanitizing task. Get your CC's down to 0...keep shocking and do not stop until zero and the odor is gone.

Your TA is too high but FIRST, keep SLAMing and then we'll worry about the other numbers.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with the others, you likely still have something lingering that is using up your FC and generating CC, you need to follow the full SLAM process Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to make sure it is all clear
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured I would have to SLAM again.

Once I SLAM, my FC level will be around 30. That's 60 drops to test the FC every night and morning. Anyway to adjust the FC test method so that I don't have to count 60 drops and use a good bit of the reagents?

6. Back To Top    #6

Since its a vinyl lined pool, you don't need CH, so leave that where it is, it's only needed if its a plaster pool.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by naschultz10 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured I would have to SLAM again.

Once I SLAM, my FC level will be around 30. That's 60 drops to test the FC every night and morning. Anyway to adjust the FC test method so that I don't have to count 60 drops and use a good bit of the reagents?
    Yes, I just recently read about a way to do that. Instead of 10ml do 5ml and each drop is 1ppm. Accuracy is wacked but close enough for initial SLAM I believe.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir