3/4hp one speed pump attached to a circuit breaker..timer suggestions?

nyvram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
need advice on a timer or something that can turn it on and off on a schedule.

what are good products that will run me under $100? i eventually may upgrade to a variable speed if this unit dies but for now, i just want the best bang for the buck..a good timer i can schedule and maybe even control via smartphone (would be nice to keep up with pump run times)

1. where would I install it? I only have a circuit breaker/box right now so how in the heck do you add a timer and where would it go? in my house i can easily swap out dumb switches for smart switches because there's an actual switch. with my pump..its stupid..it only has a circuit breaker in use as a on/off switch. is that normal?

2. what is a good product with lots of flexibilty? I know there are electronic timers you can buy for around $50ish..but i'd be willing to spend more than that if there was a universally recommended/reviewed product that gives me some control with my phone. it might be nice if i dont have my pump scheduled to turn it off before i go to bed..from my nightstand for instance LOL

thoughts?

Using a circuit breaker as an on/off switch can be done but, it is not advisable as they are not designed for that type of use.

As far as timers go, Intermatic makes a whole slew of them and I am sure there is one that will fit your needs. It will have to be mounted externally to the breaker box and right next to it would be fine. There are also a whole host of automation systems available that can be configured to run as automatic as you would ever want. Most of the newer high end systems can also be interfaced with smartphones.

need advice on a timer or something that can turn it on and off on a schedule.

what are good products that will run me under $100? i eventually may upgrade to a variable speed if this unit dies but for now, i just want the best bang for the buck..a good timer i can schedule and maybe even control via smartphone (would be nice to keep up with pump run times)

1. where would I install it? I only have a circuit breaker/box right now so how in the heck do you add a timer and where would it go?
The timer would have its own box, and you'd use a small piece of electrical conduit or something called a "chase nipple" to allow the wires from the circuit breaker to pass thru into the timer box.

You can get simple on/off Intermatic timers at Home Depot for under $100.

i'm looking at the 'aube' by honeywell; it looks like its built like a tank but it doesnt have any smart features. i'm not sure if intermatic is better than honeywell or not.

Aube-by-Honeywell-TI040-U-7-Day-Programmable-Timer1.jpg

also, i dont see anything 'smart'. :( too bad.

sadly after further research, this appears to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

it gives you the option to program multiple 'short' on periods within a 24 hour period. i like the idea of the pump turning on several times during the day to skim debris off the pool rather than a single 6 hour period once a day.

If your pump is running on 120 volts then look into the Intermatic ST01. It has battery back up, you can program up to 40 'events' & has a feature that lets you connect another switch to work like a three way. It's not weather proof so it would have to mounted inside or in a weather proof box. I mounted mine in the kitchen overlooking the pool & connected the existing switch at the pump to use the 3 way feature.
My current program:
9am - on
Noon - off
2pm - off
4pm - off
6pm - on
9pm - off
11pm - off

The extra off cycles are for if I use the switch by the pump & forget to turn it back off, no need to use a phone. They also make the same style timer for 240 volts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.