Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3/4hp one speed pump attached to a circuit breaker..timer suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

3/4hp one speed pump attached to a circuit breaker..timer suggestions?

need advice on a timer or something that can turn it on and off on a schedule.

what are good products that will run me under $100? i eventually may upgrade to a variable speed if this unit dies but for now, i just want the best bang for the buck..a good timer i can schedule and maybe even control via smartphone (would be nice to keep up with pump run times)

1. where would I install it? I only have a circuit breaker/box right now so how in the heck do you add a timer and where would it go? in my house i can easily swap out dumb switches for smart switches because there's an actual switch. with my pump..its stupid..it only has a circuit breaker in use as a on/off switch. is that normal?

2. what is a good product with lots of flexibilty? I know there are electronic timers you can buy for around $50ish..but i'd be willing to spend more than that if there was a universally recommended/reviewed product that gives me some control with my phone. it might be nice if i dont have my pump scheduled to turn it off before i go to bed..from my nightstand for instance LOL

thoughts?
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 3/4hp one speed pump attached to a circuit breaker..timer suggestions?

Using a circuit breaker as an on/off switch can be done but, it is not advisable as they are not designed for that type of use.

As far as timers go, Intermatic makes a whole slew of them and I am sure there is one that will fit your needs. It will have to be mounted externally to the breaker box and right next to it would be fine. There are also a whole host of automation systems available that can be configured to run as automatic as you would ever want. Most of the newer high end systems can also be interfaced with smartphones.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by nyvram View Post
    need advice on a timer or something that can turn it on and off on a schedule.

what are good products that will run me under $100? i eventually may upgrade to a variable speed if this unit dies but for now, i just want the best bang for the buck..a good timer i can schedule and maybe even control via smartphone (would be nice to keep up with pump run times)

1. where would I install it? I only have a circuit breaker/box right now so how in the heck do you add a timer and where would it go?
    The timer would have its own box, and you'd use a small piece of electrical conduit or something called a "chase nipple" to allow the wires from the circuit breaker to pass thru into the timer box.

You can get simple on/off Intermatic timers at Home Depot for under $100.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

i'm looking at the 'aube' by honeywell; it looks like its built like a tank but it doesnt have any smart features. i'm not sure if intermatic is better than honeywell or not.

also, i dont see anything 'smart'. too bad.
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

5. Back To Top    #5

sadly after further research, this appears to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

it gives you the option to program multiple 'short' on periods within a 24 hour period. i like the idea of the pump turning on several times during the day to skim debris off the pool rather than a single 6 hour period once a day.

6. Back To Top    #6

EH-40 from Intermatic is what I used for my pumps. Does your pump need 120 V or 240 V? Some can be wired for either and I'd lean towards 240 V for lower current flow.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

the aubi above does both 120 & 240 i believe

8. Back To Top    #8

If your pump is running on 120 volts then look into the Intermatic ST01. It has battery back up, you can program up to 40 'events' & has a feature that lets you connect another switch to work like a three way. It's not weather proof so it would have to mounted inside or in a weather proof box. I mounted mine in the kitchen overlooking the pool & connected the existing switch at the pump to use the 3 way feature.
    My current program:
    9am - on
    Noon - off
    2pm - off
    4pm - off
    6pm - on
    9pm - off
    11pm - off

The extra off cycles are for if I use the switch by the pump & forget to turn it back off, no need to use a phone. They also make the same style timer for 240 volts.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

My torx has been good to go for 6 years now. Hard wired from conduit to breaker box with a double plug off of that. Lowes I think is where the electrician bought it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!