Sick of my Pool! Ready to start a new life for it!

Ok friends! So I added the stabilizer- 1 gallon. I am going to give it 24 hours and test tomorrow evening. Just would rather take it slow. After 1 hour I added 1 gallon bleach and swept the whole pool. Jumped in at the end of sweeping to get a bit better under the waterfall. My eyes are kinda burning- is that from the pH? I checked the FC after about 30 minutes of sweeping/running the system and it was at 3. I am going to wait an hour or so and then go check the FC again and add my acid.

Am I on the right track?? :)

BTW- You guys are awesome!

Usually low pH is what I read folks say bothers their eyes, but go ahead and dose your pool to bring down your pH. Go either 7.2 to 7.5, using PoolMath to guide you on quantities of MA. Make sure you pour it in slow over a return and I always like to brush just to be sure its dispersed well.

Good Morning to anyone who is following my thread and helping me out! Here are the last few results:

Yesterday- (8/12)-
1600: FC= 1, pH= 7.8, added 2qts, 2c acid
1800: FC= 1, pH= 7.6, added 81 oz bleach
2000: FC= 3, pH= 7.6 (added nothing)

This morning- (8/13)- 0830: Water look absolutely beautiful! Crystal clear- best it has looked in probably 2 years. Ran Full test:

FC=2
TC=2
CC=0
pH=7.6
TA=180
CH=200
CYA=<30 (the black dot never went away when the tube was entirely full.

So now what? Should I continue to work on getting the CYA up? Add more stabilizer? It hasn't been a full 24 hours since the first, but I doubt I added enough- just don't want to add too much.

Also, I typically run my pool pump (in floor cleaning system) overnight from 10pm-8am. Yesterday I ran all day and all night as I was adding chemicals and wanted it to circulate well. We are on the peak electricity plan and get cheaper electricity from 9pm-9am. This means that typically the pool sits still all day long. Is this ok? Should I be testing in the morning or evening on an average day when running the pump at night?

Beth you are so on the right track! Good job finding TFP! You are going to love it here! AND you will save so much money!

You need to work on getting and keeping your FC up! You do not want to give the algae a chance to take back over.

Here is a link you might want to print out and keep by your test kit.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

I would shoot for just under SLAM level for FC for a few days to make sure any of the algae that got left in the pool is GONE! Here is the link of the FC/CYA levels.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

HUGS! We got ya!

Kim

If you put in one gallon (128 oz) of liquid stabilizer that would give you 14ppm CYA. I think you need another gallon (assuming you're going to stay that route) at least, and then retest. If you had any in there initially yet was too low to appear on testing you won't have overshot your mark for sunny AZ at all.

Raise your FC to the level of at least 30 CYA and then higher as you retest the CYA.

I would be testing at night as you start your filter cycle and routine care. If you don't have enough CYA in the water in that sun you'll see because your level will have dropped more than you expect. Your location demands a bit more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok- so I am going to add another gallon of liquid stabilizer now and retest my CYA tomorrow. In the meantime for today, I will test FC every couple of hours and try to get it up to at least 5 (that's as high as I can test until I get my other kit). I will keep posting and asking for next steps.

You guys are so helpful- thanks for the advice.

Good morning! Yesterday I decided to purchase the granular CYA and did the sock method with 4lbs of CYA in the skimmer. With the gallon of liquid I added 2 days ago, I don't want to add anymore at this point until it will register on my test and I can see where I am at. The sock is almost completely empty- maybe has 1/4 cup left.

Testing results: Pool looks amazing!

8/13- 1400: FC- 0.5, pH- 7.6 (added bleach and the CYA sock-method in skimmer)
1730: FC-2, pH- 7.6
2100: FC- 2, pH 7.6

8/14- 0800: FC- 2, pH-7.6

It seems like it is holding the chlorine overnight. Once I know what my CYA is I will know better where to have that FC level. How long should I wait to test my CYA again once it is all dissolved?

Thanks pabeader. I think I am going to wait a few days- maybe test it on Monday or Tuesday. If I can stand to wait that long! :)

I am going to bring my FC up to 4 for now and see if it will hold. At this point should I worry about the TA being high and the CH being low?

Don't sweat about the TA at this point, that can be accomplished by dropping your pH to 7.2 and then aerating..a repeated process until it gets to where you want it. It often takes a couple of weeks.

You do need to increase your calcium as its important to protect your finish. Pool Math says you need to add aprox 204 ounces by weight of calcium chloride, to bring it up to 250. People in your area of the country often have high calcium, so I wouldn't suggest making it any higher than 250 since it may rise in time and 250-350 is the recommended range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.