Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How clean do the grooves need to be to replace a spider gasket? It's kinda messy now.

1. Back To Top    #1

How clean do the grooves need to be to replace a spider gasket? It's kinda messy now.

Do I need to get every little bit of the old gasket, glue, etc out before I put in the new gasket?
    image.jpg

Is the damage to this channel a potential problem?
    Attachment 41523

Im assuming this old gasket is pretty bad, but am replacing it either way to be safe.
    image.jpg

I'm heading to work to pick up some Permatex 80022 gasket maker to install it later this afternoon.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How clean do the grooves need to be to replace a spider gasket? It's kinda messy

That looks pretty good to me. You want it as clean as you can reasonably get it, but a little residue is expected, and that picture is an example of a fairly good cleaning.

The little bit of damage to that web shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How clean do the grooves need to be to replace a spider gasket? It's kinda messy

Hey Bama, should he use the permatex on the gasket (assuming it's the kind that does setup and remains pliable) or should he just coat it good with silicone lube and go for it ?
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on the specific model of the multiport, Pentair recommends gluing the spider gasket in place. They recommend Loctite 401 or 416, but the Permatex should work as long as you don't get carried away with it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as that question is out there, is this OK?
    image.jpg

I work at a True Value, so this is a pretty good deal for me to use on o-rings and gaskets. Should I be using something else?
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for enlightening both of us
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

That grease is petroleum based and should not be used on O-rings or rubber gaskets. You want pure silicon based lubricants.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Good thing I've got my pump open for service. I had used that on the gaskets and o-rings when I replaced the motor last month. Will clean all that off and get something silicone based for the pump and the MPV.

9. Back To Top    #9

I got the gasket sealed in with Permatex, and the valve top installed (finger tight.) Do I need to wait a while to fire up the system, or can I turn it on shortly after doing this? I used a ton of silicone grease on the valve top, and it seems to be sliding pretty well.

10. Back To Top    #10

You should probably wait a couple of hours, but it's best to wait as long as possible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator