Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam causing extra salt in salt water pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Slam causing extra salt in salt water pool

I am in day 2 of my first SLAM. The water was already pretty clear when I started but the FC was non existent and the CC was 1.5, so I decided to SLAM. I have added about 20 bottles of 121 oz bleach over the first two days. And if each bottle is raising my salt by 13, then that might be why my salt numbers are high. Currently my salt value is 3600 on my panel and 3800 when I do the test myself.

Since my SWG chlorine percentage is set to 0, it is basically off and the excess salt won't hurt it, right? So should I continue the SLAM and then after it is completely done, fix the salt value then by draining some water and adding some new water?

Just want to make sure I am doing this right. Also, does 20 bottles of bleach sound bad? Seems like a lot but I'm using the pool math calculator to help me figure it out.

Thanks as always for the help.
    10K gal, ing, fiberglass, Hayward Goldline SWG, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Aqua Plus, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slam causing extra salt in salt water pool

What were your complete test results before starting the slam?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep...Once slam is done and you have let your FC drop to maintenance levels, you can address your SWG and salt levels. Most SWG's are good up to 4200 to 4500 ppm of salt, so check your manual. My Sollax doesn't complain until > 4500. Easiest is just to turn it on and see if it complains. If it does, then exchange some water.

As for whether 20 bottles is excessive, we would need to know your CYA level and how much Algae and CCs you started with.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

your salt levels are fine. I have a Hayward system and my salt is at around 4,200. no problem. as long as the cell isn't displaying "high salt" warning you are good
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is the results I had before starting slam:
    Water looked pretty clear. Some iron stains are on the bottom. No real visible algae. Reason for the SLAM is I think my salt cell stopped working and when we added a new one it still couldn't get any FC into the pool.

CYA: 75
    PH: 7.2
    FC: 0.5
    CC:1.0

The other values were normal I believe (should have written them down - lesson learned).
    10K gal, ing, fiberglass, Hayward Goldline SWG, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Aqua Plus, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

good deal, stick with the SLAM until you are completely finished. don't stop when you think you are close enough.

have you removed your light yet? need to do that, you will probably find some nasty algae behind the fixture
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with Robert, I would wait till slam is over and then double check salt levels. If your SWG is happy with that number I would leave it as you will probably dilute it with rain fall or replacement due to evaporation and splashout.

I would also add that my SWG will show 3800 and after it's been generating all day in the sun it will show 3600 and then eventually go back to 3800. I assume that as it turns salt to chlorine the level drops until it is turned back into salt.

At least that's what I tell myself
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lefty51 View Post
    If your SWG is happy with that number I would leave it as you will probably dilute it with rain fall or replacement due to evaporation and splashout.
    Just one minor nitpick. Salt level will stay the same due to evaporation and refill....Only the water evaporates, not the salt, so when you put water back in you still have the same salt levels.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

your correct, I was equating evap with splashout and backwash, my bad
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir