Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

I have been running mine for 24 hours a day. If I want to run 8 hours a day, is it better to run 8 hours straight (e.g. overnight) or 4 hours at a time (e.g. morning and evening)?

Also, is it better to run during the daytime or overnight?

2. Back To Top    #2

Breaking your run time up into 2 or 3 sessions can certainly be beneficial for maintaining more even chlorination, circulation and better skimming action. Time of day doesn't matter a great deal but at I have my two run times set so that I can test/dose in the early morning or near sunset. Some cities/regions have different electric rates that are lower during off-peak demand hours so if your area has them, align your pump run times with the cheaper time slots as practical.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Here is an article that you should consider, Determining Pump Run Time.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
    I have been running mine for 24 hours a day. If I want to run 8 hours a day, is it better to run 8 hours straight (e.g. overnight) or 4 hours at a time (e.g. morning and evening)?

Also, is it better to run during the daytime or overnight?
    what kind of pump do you have? is it a single speed, 2 speed or variable speed? that makes a difference too. if its single speed (which I have), I run it no longer than 6 hours a day.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Does your timer even allow you to do that? I run mine for 10 hours a day.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    what kind of pump do you have? is it a single speed, 2 speed or variable speed? that makes a difference too. if its single speed (which I have), I run it no longer than 6 hours a day.
    It says SQ1152, so I think it's single speed?

7. Back To Top    #7

For the first month after opening, I ran the pump 24/7 (new to pools this year). I now run it 2 hours around noon (to circulate water when the sun is intense on the solar cover) and 3 hours in the evening (to circulate when I'm adding bleach). There is no noticeable difference in the water from when I ran 24/7.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

8. Back To Top    #8

Our builder disabled the Power Center timer for the first WEEK to run the pump on highspeed 24/7 - this was to help the Pebble cure and to avoid any staining from sediment, as well to start off the water conditioning.

Now that it's been up and running for almost a month, I've reduced the pump run time considerably to avoid high electric bills. The pump runs based on when we use the pool, as I like it running highspeed when I'm out there before work in the morning and sweeping, and again in the afternoon when I get home. Both highspeed run times maximize cleaning just before we tend to swim - which is personal preference.

Then, overnight hours (and off-peak electric rate) the pump runs in lowspeed mode to circulate and in-floor clean. Without a SWG, I don't have to run the pump to chlorinate. My pump schedule looks like this:

5a-7a - Highspeed for cleaning, skimming & manual sweeping
    4p-6p - Highspeed for cleaning, skimming & manual sweeping
    7p-5a - Lowspeed for circulation and less vigorous cleaning

Being a new pool, I think I have a low tolerance for 'snow-globe' and sediment, so I'm probably overdoing the pump cycle timing, but the pool is clean! I'm not sure I could afford to run it 24/7 on high.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.