Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stenner Auto Chlorinator Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pumps- Operating Pressure/ Model Differences?

These four threads have been merged into one since they are all related to automating using a Stenner injection pump. Please keep all related topics together. It makes it easier to see what's been asked and what's been answered. Bama

I'm starting to get interested in possible doing either a Liquidator or Stenner Pump Feed System. Looking at Stenner's website, I can't find any significant difference between the 45 series and the 85 series. There's minor differences in output, but the 85 covers almost all of the 45's range, and prices are the same (at least on the site I looked at). Both are offered in 25 or 100psi models- what is a typical pressure that these run at when used as chlorine feeders?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pumps- Operating Pressure/ Model Differences?

They run at a fraction higher than the operating pressure of the pool return pressure. The only increase in pressure above the return pressure is the force it takes to open the check valve or duck bill, which is almost negligible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am relatively new to this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1. I don't think it really makes a big difference between the 45 or 85 series. As you stated, there is a huge overlap between the two.

2. 25 vs 100 psi. If you are feeding the chlorine BEFORE the filter, I would go with the 100 psi. I have seen my filter pressure go above 25 psi before. After the filter, I don't think it matters.

With that said - I ended up going with a Stenner 45MHP10 for $299 from ChemWorld. Even though I am feeding my acid on after the filter, I picked the high pressure so that if I change my mind, I have the option to feed it before the filter. I went with the 45 because the slower rate at which it pumps. So if I ever want to re-purpose this pump for my aquarium, it would be better suited than the 85.

The extra that I did add on was 100 ft of black UV resistant 1/4 tubing. AK4010B 1/4" Diameter - 100' UV Black Chemical Tubing from Chemworld.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I won't get o this until next year, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Auto-feeder tank in direct sun

I'm considering a Stenner or Liquidator auto feed system. The problem is that the pad with the timer, pump and filter is in direct sun for most of the day. Is this a problem with anyone else? Do I get a darker tanks to shield from the sun, which would make the tank hotter, build an enclosure, which would get pretty hot inside as well, or any other solutions? There's really no other practical place to put it....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Re: Auto-feeder tank in direct sun

Can you just put a roof on it? A s,all shelter without sides is all you need
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that would be easy enough- I didn't know if that would be sufficient- Thanks!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I put my 15 gallon tank inside a garbage can with lid. Keeps it much cooler than direct exposure.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

9. Back To Top    #9

Good idea- I was thinking how I would build a shelter- treated wood, etc, but I much prefer plastic to eliminate the need for any outdoor wood, treated or not....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Stenner Auto Chlorinator Questions

I have a few questions about a Stenner auto chlorinator system:
    -Is it correct that the Stenner should share the timer that controls the pool pump? I'm thinking I'd wire a switch to the timer, connected to the Stenner, that allows me to turn the Stenner off if needed.
    -I currently have a Hayward auto chlorinator that I have turned off. This taps into the lines before and after the filter. Since there are connections in both places already, which would be preferred (or doesn't it matter)?

Thanks
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Stenner Auto Chlorinator Questions

You don,t want the chemical pump running without water flow so many connect the chemical pump to the circulation pump timer. The Stenner has a switch on it so an additional switch is not necessary. I have a separate timer.

After the filter is preferred.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

Just to clarify a little more, the injection point should be after all equipment so the high chlorine environment will not harm any pieces of pool equipment.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the replies!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I have my stenner on it's own timer...makes dosing much easier.
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?

15. Back To Top    #15

I have my Stenner wired to the pump timer.

The Stenner comes with its own integrated override on/off switch.

My Stenner Install - July 2014
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks. I kind of like the idea of using the pump timer. This way I can dose it for about a quart of bleach during the standard time that I run the pump when the pool is not used for the day (about 5 hours). When the pool is uncovered and being used, I turn on the pump, so this would add an extra dose to make up for loss due to sunlight, etc
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

I noticed in the one link, it was mentioned they used a 45MHP2 with a #1 tube. I was reading the manual, and it looks like a 45MHP2 be converted to a 45MHP10 by changing to a #2 tube- is this right? I wouldn't anticipate needing to do this, but it makes the decision easier about which pump to get- if I need the bigger one, at least I wouldn't need to completely replace the pump.
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, changing the tube changes the pump volume.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

19. Back To Top    #19

Intermatic T100 Series Wiring - Controlling Stenner

The more I read on here about Stenner installations, the more questions I have. The latest thing I read was that the adjustable pumps are noisy and wear faster than the fixed displacement pumps, so I'm considering what it takes to use a fixed displacement pump with a timer. I currently have an Intermatic T101P 120V timer. I read on there that you can add another T100 series and wire the clock to unswitched 120V, but the load to the timer controlling the circulation pump (I think these were 220V systems). Looking at Intermatic's wiring diagram, shown here: http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/In...structions.pdf
    It looks to me like the output power picks up the clock power- I don't see a way to separate them. Is this actually possible with the 120V system?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: Intermatic T100 Series Wiring - Controlling Stenner

I think your best bet is to get a separate timer that way you have full control of how much you are dosing.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast