Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calcium chloride & stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Question calcium chloride & stabilizer

Hey Folks,

I need to raise my CH and CYA and wanted to see if the below products are something that others have used or if you know of other such products to buy and from where, I live in Dallas Texas.

Both from Amazon:

Clorox Pool&Spa 19005CLX Calcium Hardness Increaser Amazon.com : Clorox Pool Garden

Clorox Pool&Spa 10004CLX Chlorine Stabilizer Amazon.com : Clorox Pool Garden

Thanks
    O
    17500 Gallons, IG, Plaster, DE Filter, Built 1997, No Spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calcium chloride & stabilizer

Yes, both products are the correct items. You might be able to find cheaper CYA or CH Increaser without the "Clorox" name on the label, but the ingredients are the same.

Both items can be found at Walmart or Lowes usually.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I get CYA at Lowes labeled Stabilizer.

What is your CH in the pool and the fill water? Usually, adding CH is not necessary in Dallas.

Here is a nice chemical summary page.
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I get CYA at Lowes labeled Stabilizer.

What is your CH in the pool and the fill water? Usually, adding CH is not necessary in Dallas.

Here is a nice chemical summary page.
    Hey pooldv thanks for the tip, I've been away for the past 3 weeks and a friend kindly added bleach for me while I was away, I came back to a clear pool however some results are off, my results are:-

CYA is 0
    CH 180
    TA 120
    PH 7.8 / 8.0

According to pool Cal I need to raise CH to ~260 and obviously my CYA needs to be raised, I added MA to lower my PH today.

Regards
    M

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely add CYA and keep PH below 7.8. See what the CH is for your fill water. Have you added CH before?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

If you decide you need calcium chloride try to find Ice Melt products like DowFlake at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace etc...
    A 50lb bag is often less than $20. With the past winter you guys just had some places maybe stocking it?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never added CH before - I will check the fill water when I get home.

For calcium chloride - I will call around and see if they have any ice melt products.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you sure on the 0 CYA? What was your CYA value before your trip? Best to be certain on CYA levels before adding any - easy to put in, but a PITA to get out of the water if you end up with too much.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Are you sure on the 0 CYA? What was your CYA value before your trip? Best to be certain on CYA levels before adding any - easy to put in, but a PITA to get out of the water if you end up with too much.
    To be honest I have not tested my CYA for some time - I did 2 test the other day first with old reagent and the 2nd with a new batch - both with the same results.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok so I just tested my pool.

CC = 0
    FC = 0
    CYA = 0
    CH 180
    TA 120
    PH = 7.5

My fill water
    CH = 50
    CYA = 0
    PH = 8.2

Could the lack of CYA be adding to my CC level being eaten up so quickly?

Should I SLAM or bring my CYA up first?

For calcium chloride all I can find on the ACE website is ACE Ice Melt - but not sure what this has in it (AceŽ 40lb Premium Ice Melt - Ice Melt - Ace Hardware) or I found this from amazon (Amazon.com : Pellets of Fire CP20 Snow Garden) any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by onedah; 08-11-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Update on Chemical reading

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Folks any thoughts on my last post?

Ok so I just tested my pool.

CC = 0
    FC = 0
    CYA = 0
    CH 180
    TA 120
    PH = 7.5

My fill water
    CH = 50
    CYA = 0
    PH = 8.2

Could the lack of CYA be adding to my CC level being eaten up so quickly?

Should I SLAM or bring my CYA up first?

For calcium chloride all I can find on the ACE website is ACE Ice Melt - but not sure what this has in it (AceŽ 40lb Premium Ice Melt - Ice Melt - Ace Hardware) or I found this from amazon (Amazon.com : Pellets of Fire CP20 Snow Garden) any ideas?

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, cya protects chlorine from the sun. Definitely add cya to your pool and keep your PH below 7.8. I don't mean to be repetitive by I already said this up in post #5 yesterday.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

It is even more important to maintain chlorine in your pool at all times. Chlorine level must be maintained at target level for your CYA at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

With FH that low in your tap water you will need to add CH. Any ice melt that is labeled Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94 is fine. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have a look at this article from Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks pooldv - I have ordered the Calcium chloride from Amazon (not a bad price) and the Stabilizer. Will update with my results in a while.

14. Back To Top    #14

So I'm making slow progress - I have managed to get my CH up to 240 and CYA stabilizer is melting away (not testing for another 5 days) however my PH keeps shooting up after I add M-Acid.

Any idea's why this could be?

I have no sign of Algae and keeping up with CC and FC level's from the pool Calculator.

15. Back To Top    #15

It is not possible for PH to go up after adding muriatic acid. Muriatic acid lowers PH.

What is your FC, chlorine? If it is over 10 ppm then the PH test is not valid. What are your PH test numbers? Before and after and how much MA did you add?

TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

calcium chloride &amp; stabilizer

I decided to SLAM last night to make sure I was not getting affected by hidden Algae, in addition the Muriatic Acid I got from home depot was not the stuff I would normally get so I went out and purchased the correct % MA from Lowes yesterday. I added 1 gallon of MA.

FC 15 - loose 0.5 overnight
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.2
    CH 310
    TA 70
    CYA 25

The CYA I put in a sock the other day has already melted so I decided to take measure my CYA level - not sure if this is recommended.

17. Back To Top    #17

It is ok to test cya, but don't add more until after you test a week later. Assume that what you added is in the pool and chlorinate accordingly. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Still having PH rising for some reason - however I have read this could be normal until PH settles.

My results from today are below and from the 8/16 is in the above post:

FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    CH 330
    TA 70
    CYA Not Tested

I think I should be adding some M-Acid to bring back the PH - but the rest look ok.

19. Back To Top    #19

Please keep in mind that your PH will not test correctly when your FC is over 10PPM.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    Please keep in mind that your PH will not test correctly when your FC is over 10PPM.
    Thanks otter86753 - as my FC is below 10 I am presumming my PH test is valid - however the one conducted the other day may be out of wack. I beleive I need to add some M-Acid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast