Don't toss the thermometer

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
A few weeks back I was taking a temp reading of the pool water.

I usually keep it in the skimmer. I decided I wanted it in the pool instead and tossed it a bit too forcefully.

Well it hit the coping and I heard a cracking noise then it bounced back into the pool.

When I took it out, I saw the glass "container" portion of the thermometer (it's a pool thermometer in a plastic housing)
had shattered. not the actual thermometer itself (also lucky)

As incredible luck would have it, NONE of the broken glass got into the pool, it stayed within the housing.
Thankfully it happened in the shallow end and after a few different inspections there was none on the floor.

whew!!

Do they make pool thermometers encased in clear plastic instead of glass?

Good advice -- don't throw it.

We had a close call a couple summers ago. We were getting the kids out, and while standing on the deck I noticed a funny shimmering in the shallow end. I finished getting the kids out, got my mask and dove in. I found pieces of very sharp glass all over the shallow end from our thermometer. The thermometer proper didn't break, but it's curved face did. One of the kids may have tossed it, who knows.

But no injuries, and I don't know how that happened with 5 kids all over the shallow end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.