An almost first time pool owner

Reg29

Aug 10, 2015
Newark/DE
Holy cow I am in another forum:D
I sold my offshore fishing boat last year, besides being an avid fisherman, I hunt waterfowl and hunt big game with archery equipment ... hence the another forum comment.

So as an early retirement present to myself (wife, kids and grandkids) looking into having a pool built. I am waiting on proposals for the paver/hardscape companies, pool house builders and fencing companies, which should be completed this week. So expect to ready to move forward with the project in a couple weeks. My parents had a vinyl IGP as many of neighbors do that are built by a local family run business (est 1974) that has earned a very solid reputation for a quality product which they stand behind and their pool store is located a few miles down the road from my home. Feel good about the pool contractor, now the rest is a bit overwhelming to say the lease.

Plan is a vinyl L shaped pool 43 x 20 x 28 x 15. Contractor is a Zodiac shop and with that they are recommending;
  • Jandy SHPF 1.0 pump
  • Jandy DEV60 filter
  • Jandy Lxi 400 propane pool heater
  • Nature2 Fusion Soft 1400 SWG (contractor is not a big SWG fan, guessing they prefer selling chlorine to their pool customers)
My limited research suggest that I can do better then the Nature2 Fusion SWG and currently considering AutoPilot RC-42 & CircuPool RJ-60.
My budget is about getting value and performance at a justifiable cost.

Appreciate input from the seasoned experts!

Tony

Which ever one you end up with, make sure that it is at least 1.5-3x your pool volume and pick one WITHOUT any mineral packs involved.

Minerals in pool = metals. You do NOT want to be adding metals to your pool because metals=staining of the pool and green hair blondes.

Welcome! :wave:

There's lots to read here. As an experienced forum used, you probably know this, but...
1) The default cutoff in the subforums is two weeks. Down at the bottom you can extend that to see older threads that may interest you.
2) The paperclip icon means pictures.
3) There are two search functions here. One is google, limited to this site. The advanced search lets you narrow the search down a little more, but doesn't always work as well as it should.

If you learn nothing else here, learn that you need to do your own testing. Even if the pool store is just down the block, they might be closed, you might be busy, any number of excuses can get in the way and blam --algae. Take control of the pool chemistry from the get go and you may be able to brag "Ten years I've owned this and never a speck of algae."

Welcome! :wave:
If you learn nothing else here, learn that you need to do your own testing. Even if the pool store is just down the block, they might be closed, you might be busy, any number of excuses can get in the way and blam --algae. Take control of the pool chemistry from the get go and you may be able to brag "Ten years I've owned this and never a speck of algae."
Hello Richard,
Totally agree about learning how to test your pool chemistry, and being kind of a "type A" person and very analytical, will be doing some side by side comparison testing with my manual results VS store's automated analytical instrument results.

Cheers,
Tony