Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool?

I didn't know exactly what category to put this question in.... How do I handle draining the pool when it comes time to replace the liner? It is an old pool with no bottom drain. I am on a septic system, even though I am in an urban setting. My drain for waste goes under my front side lawn, but, there is no place to evacuate 27,000 gallons without disrupting something...

Does anyone have experience with a pumping service that can pump it into a truck? Also, can I refill the pool with a truck, or is the flow rate of the water disruptive to the settling of the liner?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Pool?

My city requires drained pool water to go thru the septic system. I bought a submersible sump pump from Lowes and a 100' heavy duty hose and drained mine right into the clean out in the front yard. Took about a day, but I only have 5000gal.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. We too have laws against draining treated water into stormwater drains. When I drain my hot tub, I just route the hose to my back garden but I am afraid 27,000 gal of saltwater would inundate both my waste drain and my septic field - not to mention kill some vegetation at the very least...
    16x38 - Approx 27,000 Gal, IG, Vinyl liner, Sand filter
    Hayward 3/4hp SP2605X7A, Hayward Variflow XL / S-244T
    Hayward Aqua Rite XL SWG / Aqua Solar w/ GVA-24
    Hayward H-350
    City water with Septic

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait for a rain storm. Then no one can see you discharging it out into the street.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to replace the liner, you could empty the pool in increments couldnt you? Well, at least if you owned the submersible pump I would think so. If you aren't in a hurry. 4 or 5 thousand gallons into the septic every so often until its empty?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Are you on a well too ?? I'd ask whoever you are planning to use for an installer their thoughts on how best to drain and fill it in your area with your laws/restirctions. I would think something coming out of a big hose from a truck might not be the best way to go for filling with a liner. Just MHO.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Call your fire house and see if they can pump and take the water?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, Frog, my thoughts exactly - that the pressure from the truck fill may not be the best for the liner. Dave, that is a good suggestion about increments...never thought about that.
    It is really not so much about "what is allowed" and more that a huge amount of chlorinated water can't be good for anything in the environment....I have never really thought about this, as I never had to deal with it, but there needs to be a company that rents you a tank to sit in your driveway and "hold" your treated water until you are ready to dump it back into the pool again...
    16x38 - Approx 27,000 Gal, IG, Vinyl liner, Sand filter
    Hayward 3/4hp SP2605X7A, Hayward Variflow XL / S-244T
    Hayward Aqua Rite XL SWG / Aqua Solar w/ GVA-24
    Hayward H-350
    City water with Septic

9. Back To Top    #9

27,000 gallons of water = more than 100 tons
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CDNpoolster View Post
    Thank you for the reply. We too have laws against draining treated water into stormwater drains. When I drain my hot tub, I just route the hose to my back garden but I am afraid 27,000 gal of saltwater would inundate both my waste drain and my septic field - not to mention kill some vegetation at the very least...
    Sorry, I actually meant to say thru the sewer system, not septic. And I see in your signature now, that you are on a septic system. Yeah, 27K gal would be a lot and would flood your system for sure. Seems like your only 2 options would be draining in increments or a "holding tank" type system. Please let us know what you decide or do. This info may be helpful to someone else in the future.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.