Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Should I slam the pool again.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Should I slam the pool again.

    My pool is clear but I see what seems like black algae on the steps of my pebble tec pool and it's getting worse. My FC won't maintain and keep dropping down to zero after I add bleach or super chlorinate. My CYA is somewhere 70-80 and PH is within range. I had this problem about a month ago. I slammed the pool and got rid of the black algae and FC maintained for couple of weeks but now the problem is back.

    I understand that it might be the algae that consumed the FC and last time when I slammed the pool, may be I didn't slam enough to kill all the black algae and it's back and killing the FC. Does it sound like a good assumption?

    Also, I use Pool Solutions CYA because I found a good deal on the 25 lbs container, and the dot test shows a good number. My question is, if the dot test shows good number, does it absolutely mean that my CYA is good? I don't know how the test works but just worry that may be the test can be fooled by whatever chemical they have in there.

    Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    My pool is clear but I see what seems like black algae on the steps of my pebble tec pool and it's getting worse. My FC won't maintain and keep dropping down to zero after I add bleach or super chlorinate. My CYA is somewhere 70-80 and PH is within range. I had this problem about a month ago. I slammed the pool and got rid of the black algae and FC maintained for couple of weeks but now the problem is back.

    I understand that it might be the algae that consumed the FC and last time when I slammed the pool, may be I didn't slam enough to kill all the black algae and it's back and killing the FC. Does it sound like a good assumption?

    Also, I use Pool Solutions CYA because I found a good deal on the 25 lbs container, and the dot test shows a good number. My question is, if the dot test shows good number, does it absolutely mean that my CYA is good? I don't know how the test works but just worry that may be the test can be fooled by whatever chemical they have in there.

    Thx
    If you have algae returning it is because you either did not meet all three criteria needed to complete a SLAM, or you are letting your FC levels drop below the recommended minimum for your CYA. I'm willing to bet it is a combination of both.

    What test kit are you using? What target FC are you trying to maintain?

    Why is your CYA so high? Do you have a SWG?

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    I believe the Aquarite is shorthand for an Aquarite SWG.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I believe the Aquarite is shorthand for an Aquarite SWG.
    Yes, I have SWG. I haven't got a chance to even raised the FC to proper level with CYA, yet except after that one time I slammed the pool with 2 gallon of bleach and the FC level went above the reading chart ( of the basic test kit). I am using the TF-50 kit.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  5. Back To Top    #5


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    Yes, I have SWG. I haven't got a chance to even raised the FC to proper level with CYA, yet except after that one time I slammed the pool with 2 gallon of bleach and the FC level went above the reading chart ( of the basic test kit). I am using the TF-50 kit.
    Are you saying your SLAM only used 2 gallons of bleach in your 35,000 gallon pool?

    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Are you saying your SLAM only used 2 gallons of bleach in your 35,000 gallon pool?

    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

    Dom
    Ha ha, just found out about that, too. I forgot to mention but I also used 1 package of dichlor, not sure how much FC it added. So based on the calculator, to raise from 0 to 31 ppm of FC for 35k gallong pool, I need 10 gallons of 10% or 12 gallons of 8.25% (bleach). That isn't too much, is it? When I did the 2 gallon and 1 package of dichlor , FC level looked really high.

    Also, not very clear when the pool school mentions I need to get level at least couple of times. Does that mean raise it to 31, let it drop and raise again in several days? I definitely don't have to keep it at 31 for several days, do I?

    Thx for your help.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hope Mills, NC
    Posts
    556

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Yes you do. Slam is not a one day thing. It can take weeks.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    728

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    Ha ha, just found out about that, too. I forgot to mention but I also used 1 package of dichlor, not sure how much FC it added. So based on the calculator, to raise from 0 to 31 ppm of FC for 35k gallong pool, I need 10 gallons of 10% or 12 gallons of 8.25% (bleach). That isn't too much, is it? When I did the 2 gallon and 1 package of dichlor , FC level looked really high.

    Also, not very clear when the pool school mentions I need to get level at least couple of times. Does that mean raise it to 31, let it drop and raise again in several days? I definitely don't have to keep it at 31 for several days, do I?

    Thx for your help.
    Please read or re-read
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

    A SLAM definitely DOES mean that you have to keep FC at the shock level continuously (or as continuously as you can manage given other life commitments) around the clock, for as long as it takes.

    Also, what do you mean about FC level looking "really high"? Did you use your FAS-DPD test to actually measure FC? Or did you just use an OTO test and see a stronger yellow than the highest value on the color block?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Just OTO test. Will use my TF test kit to test. This is the first time I have to slam the pool in 15 yrs.

    While at the store to buy chlorine, I had them check the cya and it was at 40. I know their test is not reliable but I have to retest with my kit again.

    I read that black algae came from the ocean. My son used the pool water to rinse his wet suit. Could this be the reason?
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Wetsuit in pool?? Bad news! It is always best to keep your pool stuff separate from lake/ocean/other peoples pools. You never know what they have in their pools and bodies of water!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    The solution is to SLAM you pool. Don't worry where it came from, eradicate it. You are going to need lots of chlorine and extra FAS-DPD reagents so stock up now. TFTestkits.net

    Stop using any form of solid chlorine, that Dichlor just drives up your CYA even higher.

    Post a full set of test results. Please,let us see real numbers, not "within range"

    Turn the SWG off, adjust the pH to 7.2 and set,the SLAM started.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Latest test

    Cya, 70
    Fc, 28
    Ph, 7.6
    Cc,0
    Salt is high, consistent with pool store, 3750. Wonder if this is part of the reason for low Fc before slam.

    Black algae seem to slowly disappear as expected. I brushed the area every few hours since I stayed home today. Will do another test tomorrow and add more chlorine as needed.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  13. Back To Top    #13


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    Latest test

    Cya, 70
    Fc, 28
    Ph, 7.6
    Cc,0
    Salt is high, consistent with pool store, 3750. Wonder if this is part of the reason for low Fc before slam.

    Black algae seem to slowly disappear as expected. I brushed the area every few hours since I stayed home today. Will do another test tomorrow and add more chlorine as needed.
    If the SWG is happy with that salt level you should be fine. Lets stick to the SLAM to rule out organics & "reboot" the pool.

    Remember, it's all about Maintain. Don't worry about overshooting your shock FC target a bit to make up for the loss before you can test/add again. I would have put it 2-4ppm higher before going to bed.

    Also, check/add FC more than once a day, do it as much as possible, no sooner than 1 hour but not less than twice a day.

    You are not done until you meet all three criteria:

    1) Water is clear
    2) CC =<0.5ppm
    3) OCLT pass (<1.0ppm loss)

    You'll be amazed at how clear your pool will become.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    I guess adding one gallon of bleach should be more than enough to raise 2-4 ppm. My pool has always been clear. Just the black algae on the steps and chlorine kept dropping down to zero. I guess I was using some cheap algaecide and it didn't do anything to black algae.

    Just curirous, why shut the SWG off?

    Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Save on the life of the cell. They 'wear' out over time so if you don't' need to use it you might as well save it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Save on the life of the cell. They 'wear' out over time so if you don't' need to use it you might as well save it.
    Thx. I was worried because I didn't turn it off the first cycle.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  17. Back To Top    #17


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    I guess adding one gallon of bleach should be more than enough to raise 2-4 ppm. My pool has always been clear. Just the black algae on the steps and chlorine kept dropping down to zero. I guess I was using some cheap algaecide and it didn't do anything to black algae.

    Just curirous, why shut the SWG off?

    Thx
    Why are you "guessing" on the chlorine addition? Use Pool Math and it will tell you exactly how much to add, then test to confirm.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Why are you "guessing" on the chlorine addition? Use Pool Math and it will tell you exactly how much to add, then test to confirm.

    Dom
    Based on in the past, how much bleach I added to raise 4ppm .
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

  19. Back To Top    #19


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    Based on in the past, how much bleach I added to raise 4ppm .
    You should double check 30-60 minutes after adding. That algae could be consuming FC faster than you're "guessing".

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should I slam the pool again.

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    You should double check 30-60 minutes after adding. That algae could be consuming FC faster than you're "guessing".

    Dom
    He he, that wouldn't be possible with my full time job. The most I can do is to check/add every night when I come home. But the weekend is coming up...

    Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •