Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a reasonable price to replace a pool pump (install cost only)

1. Back To Top    #1

What is a reasonable price to replace a pool pump (install cost only)

Hi everyone,

Looking for opinions on what a reasonable price would be to replace an existing pool pump with a variable speed (**note installation price only). Basically I'm trying to see if I should just do it myself or leave this one to the pros. I've had one quote that was just north of $200 but have nothing to compare that against.

As for the DIY option, I've never replaced a pump, but it looks straight-forward in terms of hooking into the existing plumbing and there shouldn't be any major electrical work outside of just transferring the current wiring to the new pump.

My primary hesitation in trying this myself is that I get started, cut the old pump out, get halfway through the install and then encounter an unexpected issue that i can't resolve. I'll then end up having to pay someone anyway -- plus if my pump is offline for a day in this heat (Houston) it will be green in no time.

Thanks for the help...
    28k gallon AG pebble sheen, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Intelliflo 3HP, SWG, TF-100 test kit, spa
    Pool installed 2005/2006 (we bought house in summer 2014 so our knowledge of pool history is limited)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is a reasonable price to replace a pool pump (install cost only)

As long as you've done your homework in ensuring you can connect the new pump into the existing plumbing, it is a pretty straight-forward swap.

Just grab a stool and sit in front of your motor and stare at it until you feel like you understand how it all goes together and how it'll come apart.

Post a picture if you like and we can help you.

I've never paid for a motor install so I can't help you there but $200 sounds a tad high to me but it might vary a fair amount.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

there is nothing to the DIY pump install. A bit of plumbing and use the existing wire. I would recommend that you use Unions at the suction and return ports on the pump.
    Easy stuff man.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

@Divin Dave - I've got the unions already so good to go there. It's really just the uncertainty since I've never done this before. I'd hate to get halfway through and get "stuck"
    28k gallon AG pebble sheen, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Intelliflo 3HP, SWG, TF-100 test kit, spa
    Pool installed 2005/2006 (we bought house in summer 2014 so our knowledge of pool history is limited)

5. Back To Top    #5

As far as cost, I had to have a 'authorized' installer do my new pump install to qualify for a $450 rebate from my power company, they charged me $225 with all parts etc including unions. I wired the power cord . Also Hayward said that they give a extra year warranty if a 'authorized' installer does the install
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I had my new Pentair VS "professionally installed", only because with a DIY install Pentair will only give a 90 day warranty. Otherwise it's a pretty easy swap. You may have to do a little re wiring if you are currently using a timer and want to switch to using the VS pump's onboard controls.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    As long as you've done your homework in ensuring you can connect the new pump into the existing plumbing, it is a pretty straight-forward swap.

Just grab a stool and sit in front of your motor and stare at it until you feel like you understand how it all goes together and how it'll come apart.

Post a picture if you like and we can help you.

I've never paid for a motor install so I can't help you there but $200 sounds a tad high to me but it might vary a fair amount.
    Thanks @Agent 99 - I'll see if I can get some pictures to post the setup....but it is what I would consider pretty straight-forward in terms of plumbing