Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Time Trouble Free User

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Time Trouble Free User

I have done my pool school and think i'm moving in the right direction. I am still however showing some algae growth each morning which i have been scrubbing. Should I continue to keep scrubbing and hoping the algae growth will stop. I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.

I did SLAM the pool last week. I'm worried I didn't slam it long enough and may need to start over.

Note* This is for a 28,000gal SWG Vinyl Pool
    FC 8.0ppm
    TC 8.0ppm
    PH 8
    Hardness 88
    TA 88PPM
    CYA 81PPM

I did just add some acid to drop the PH

I also added some water to hopefully lower my CYA a bit

Thanks for all your help this is a great site!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 1st Time Trouble Free User

SLAM is a multiple day thing. You don't stop until you pass the 3 tests. Shortest I've seen was a few days but that one didn't have any visible algae. You on the other hand are probably going to take longer.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Also, we put no faith in pool $tore testing. Too many times they are just plain wrong. And CYA is usually one of the worst.

You really need to get one of the recommended kits. In your situation I would suggest the TF-100 with XL option or the K-2006C the C is very important but probably still not enough of the important reagents for a proper SLAM.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mjcalise View Post
    I have done my pool school and think i'm moving in the right direction. I am still however showing some algae growth each morning which i have been scrubbing. Should I continue to keep scrubbing and hoping the algae growth will stop. I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.

I did SLAM the pool last week. I'm worried I didn't slam it long enough and may need to start over.

Note* This is for a 28,000gal SWG Vinyl Pool
    FC 8.0ppm
    TC 8.0ppm
    PH 8
    Hardness 88
    TA 88PPM
    CYA 81PPM

I did just add some acid to drop the PH

I also added some water to hopefully lower my CYA a bit

Thanks for all your help this is a great site!
    Welcome to the forum.

It is impossible to properly SLAM without a test kit. What you did last week was dump in some chemicals and hoped for the best.

With out the proper FAS-DPD test kit you will never get ahead of this. How did you do an OCLT?

What is your current primary source of chlorine?

I think you may need to review a few sections of Pool School.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

A SLAM procedure is a multi-dosing process which is intended to maintain the killing of algae at a higher rate than the algae itself can reproduce. It takes more than one dose or one day usually. You aren't completely finished until: Water is clear; Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is 1 or less and your CCs are less than 0.5

Then it is helpful to address why you had/got algae in the first place? Is your CYA too high for the amount of chlorine you have? Is there a spot or niche in the pool still lurking full of algae?? Light fixtures, ladders, etc can all harbor hidden algae and need to be spied out.

Do you think this may account for the resurgence of your algae?

A lot of "8s" in your testing....are you sure of these numbers? How did you get them?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    A SLAM procedure is a multi-dosing process which is intended to maintain the killing of algae at a higher rate than the algae itself can reproduce. It takes more than one dose or one day usually. You aren't completely finished until: Water is clear; Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is 1 or less and your CCs are less than 0.5

Then it is helpful to address why you had/got algae in the first place? Is your CYA too high for the amount of chlorine you have? Is there a spot or niche in the pool still lurking full of algae?? Light fixtures, ladders, etc can all harbor hidden algae and need to be spied out.

Do you think this may account for the resurgence of your algae?

A lot of "8s" in your testing....are you sure of these numbers? How did you get them?
    OP is relying on Pool Store testing. I'm sure that the algae was never completely cleared as the OP has no way to frequently test & maintain FC, accurately measure CC, or verify an OCLT.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcalise View Post
    ........I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.........
    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have come to the conclusion that some folks have me on block.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that some folks have me on block.
    Eh? Did you say something?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey Don,

Yes I don't have a proper test kit. I guess my question has been answered I will start over once I can properly test my FC. Thanks for the help.