LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For a history of our pool refurb (and its leopard spotted floor) please see page 8 here It's Pool Repair Weekend! - Page 8.

Basically, we did a DIY refubish of our pool in May. Filled with water from the fire hydrant (after allowing it to flush). Pool guy started a few days later and a few spots had started showing. He wasn't sure what it was. He dumped in a bunch of granual shock on day one. Couple days later added algaecide and . . . I don't know what else. Spots multiplied in a week. Then vastly again the next week. And again the next week. My guess is he was dumping in shock to try to remedy the spots.

The good folks here at TFP recommended we do the chlorine puck and vit C tests to figure out what the spots were. We did and concluded the spots were metal since they disappeared with the Vit C. Chlorine pucks had zero effect.

Pool was brushed and cleaned. Spots removed after much (8 hrs) of scrubbing.

Since then, (new) pool guy is spending HOURS and a LOT of money on keeping things right.

After studying up in Pool School I am now concluding that the mass amounts of shock that were put in have led to far too much stabilizer and the CYA level is likely through the roof.

I realize the correlation between CYA level and algae, but is there also one between high CYA level and metal? What were those blasted spots?! (High CYA would point to algae, but the vitamin C results tell me metal.)

Here's my plan of action. (Keeping in mind this is a rental house and we are some 600 miles away, I'll be giving direction one step at a time to the pool guy (maybe the tenant too) on what, when, how and why).

Purchase TK-100 kit and have it sent to house. Ask pool guy to do all tests in kit (especially CYA).

Call fire dept and have them open the fire hydrant used to fill the pool so we can get a water sample.

Take part of hydrant water sample and house water sample to water dept and ask them to test each. (I'm assuming they will?) Have pool guy use his test kit and the new test kit on both samples. Once I have those results I'll be able to tell if/what the differences are in the 2 water sources and determine if I should refill pool from hydrant or the hose spicket in the back yard (comparing time, and best water).

Now, if I am correct that the CYA in the current pool water is off the chain (pool is unable to retain chlorine), at what CYA reading do I do a 50% refill, a 75% refill, or a 90% refill? (Careful not to pop the pool out of the ground).

Since I am dealing with a rather large pool, a plethora of water issues, and very well may have to ask our tenant (inexperienced, but seemingly a smart lady) to do the testing, should I go ahead and order any of the additional/XL items for the kit to get us through 3 months? I'm not anxious to spend any additional money, but want to ensure everything is on-hand.

I will have the DE filter additive and 40 gal of 12% liquid bleach delivered to the house in preparation for SLAM. What else? (If I have to ask the tenant to do all this testing and adding, I sure don't want to have to ask her to run out and buy anything!)

While SLAMing, am I correct that the pool will be unfit for swimming for about 2 weeks?

Anything else I need to be aware of or have?

If you're the praying kind, please pray! We are near ready to set the pool ON FIRE! :brickwall:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 69
Nothing like long-distance water management to make it tricky. :) Well, a few things:
- Before managing CYA, the first course of action is knowing exactly what the CYA is. That will drive how much to drain if at all. It's hot there, so you may want a CYA target of about 50 ppm. That's manageable for a SLAM later, and should give you good protection from the sun for your FC.
- After the CYA adjustment, then adjust PH to your mid-7s. If you need to SLAM, then make it 7.2.
- 30 min after the PH adjustments, adjust your FC with liquid bleach. Make sure to use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to ensure the FC stays above the target for the new CYA.

Use the Pool School - Recommended Levels as a reference and also use the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals so you/they know what products to use and why. Hopefully keep it simple for them so there are no problems. I hope this helps.

Nothing like long-distance water management . . .
I hope this helps.

Long distance water mgmt - I know, right! It's not something I really desired to add to my resume, but I'll learn something along the way.

Suggested products is exactly what I needed. Great link! One question there:
On the borates - definitely sounds like something to tackle . . . later. Any downside on holding off?

Any thoughts on extras I may need within the kit? Everything there will last at least 3 months, right?

Tks for your time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.