Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th SLAM and it is a mystery

1. Back To Top    #1

4th SLAM and it is a mystery

I have had to SLAM my pool three times already this summer and now have to perform a 4th. I have had to add CYA three times this summer as well. The history of the SLAMS are:

#1 My SWG flow sensor had to be replaced (understand the need for this one)
    #2 FC never dropped below minimum, but there was algae in the lights and under the ladder
    #3 FC never dropped below minimum and no visible algae but cloudy water
    #4 will be started this afternoon. FC never dropped below minimum. Had 6 people over yesterday and checked FC immediately after they got out at 5:00 PM and FC was 4.5 with a CYA of 80 so above my minimum. My SWG and pump turn off at 8:00 PM and my FC was 4.5 this morning when I checked at 8:00 AM just before my pump and SWG turn on. There is a thin film of green on the wall by the deep end ladder. There have been palm fruit berries in the pool, but we try to keep those up with a leaf rake.

Full set of test results:

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.6 (just added MA to reduce to 7.2 to start the SLAM this afternoon)
    TA 80
    CH 250
    CYA 80
    Borates 50
    Temp 86

It is a mystery why I am having to SLAM so many times when I'm not dropping below the minimum FC level. I target between 6-8 and my SWG runs at 40%. I should also add that for the very first time on Saturday, I added Cellulose Fiber to my filter, but hope that didn't cause this. The irony is that I finally felt I had dialed in my chemistry after the three previous SLAMS and wanted that extra filtering so the water would look clearer at night with the lights on. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 4th SLAM and it is a mystery

That can be frustrating, and our FB pools should ideally be easy to maintain. But I too have had a couple odd things happen this year. I also lost CYA a couple times. Don't know why. So I had to adjust. Also, we are in HOT climates that demand extra protection. Even though the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart lists a "minimum" FC level, I never let mine go below the target value. The heat is just too stressful on the water. So the one thing I would suggest is to adjust your SWG output after you resolve your current water issue so that the FC never drops below your target. If you can keep it a notch or two above (7-9) that may be ideal here in August when temps are outrageous. You might find that to help resolve your recurring algae/cloudiness issue. Naturally, do what you can now to ensure any active algae is eliminated by thoroughly cleaning your pool surfaces, light niches/covers, etc. Hopefully this will help you enjoy the rest of your summer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

With a CYA of 80, isn't the minimum more like, 6? But really should try to always stay closer to 9?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Otter has a SWG, so his numbers are slightly different on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I completely missed that! And I looked for first, just to be sure.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

We've had some pretty wicked storms in the area lately, I've actually had to drain some water from the pool. A first! The sheer amount of water may have altered something..... Could your CYA be a bit lower than you think?

Are you brushing the pool at least weekly?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I am brushing and we have had storms, but I haven't had to discharge any water other than through back washing.

My CYA was tested on Saturday and it was clearly 80 (I tested four times and got 80 three times and 75ish once).

corrected typo of 90....it was 80!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    I am brushing and we have had storms, but I haven't had to discharge any water other than through back washing.

My CYA was tested on Saturday and it was clearly 80 (I tested four times and got 90 three times and 75ish once).

If that's case, it may very well be 90.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    If that's case, it may very well be 90.
    Please see that it was a typo and the tests were one 75 and three 80.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ladders in pools can be a big problem if they aren't completely cleaned of algae. Remove the ladder from the pool if possible and scrub it. You might have a water circulation problem and poor circulation around ladders will let algae grow if the ladder doesn't get scrubbed.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

The ladder is stainless steel and it does not have any algae under the three rungs at all. I brush it every couple of weeks to make sure. I have very good clockwise circulation around the entire pool. It is amazing that I have had to SLAM four times this year after never having to SLAM before.

12. Back To Top    #12

Stupid question but you're passing OCLT every time, right?

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    That can be frustrating, and our FB pools should ideally be easy to maintain. But I too have had a couple odd things happen this year. I also lost CYA a couple times. Don't know why. So I had to adjust. Also, we are in HOT climates that demand extra protection. Even though the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart lists a "minimum" FC level, I never let mine go below the target value. The heat is just too stressful on the water. So the one thing I would suggest is to adjust your SWG output after you resolve your current water issue so that the FC never drops below your target. If you can keep it a notch or two above (7-9) that may be ideal here in August when temps are outrageous. You might find that to help resolve your recurring algae/cloudiness issue. Naturally, do what you can now to ensure any active algae is eliminated by thoroughly cleaning your pool surfaces, light niches/covers, etc. Hopefully this will help you enjoy the rest of your summer.
    Texas Splash, what cya do you keep your pool at?

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Megsyperk View Post
    Stupid question but you're passing OCLT every time, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes I am passing all three parts of the SLAM every time.

I might also add that we took out three queen palm trees that added minimal shade, and a neighbor MAJORLY trimmed an elm tree that took away some shade from our pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

After this SLAM is complete target the FC at 8ppm and don't let it drop below 6ppm. Something is not adding up so maybe a slight increase in the FC will help.

Another question, how long does it take to pass the OCLT each time you have had to SLAM the pool?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Another question, how long does it take to pass the OCLT each time you have had to SLAM the pool?
    The first time I don't recall. The second passed after two days and the third passed after one day.

17. Back To Top    #17

Run an OCLT tonight with the FC at 10+ and let us know the result in the morning, hopefully it is not too late already.

18. Back To Top    #18

I didn't see this until this morning but I did pass the OCLT last night and the water is clear. I am going to keep at Shock Level today and run another test tonight.

19. Back To Top    #19

I passed the OCLT again last night. Hopefully this will do away any more SLAMs.

20. Back To Top    #20

I have trouble with my CYA testing accuracy. For example, my reading of 70 could be anywhere between 60-80. So, when I SLAM, I always SLAM for a CYA of 10 more than my current CYA reading. Before I used that method, I was SLAMing, passing all 3 tests and then once FC dropped to normal levels for CYA, the cloudiness would reappear. So, if my CYA reading says 70, I SLAM to CYA 80 levels, just to be sure.

I was having similar issues as you this year (4 SLAMs), but slightly over SLAMing has cleared things up for good on the final attempt.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast