Pentair EasyTouch not turning off SuperFlo VS Pump per the schedule.....

May 16, 2015
Columbia, SC
I'm very new to the pool world and recently had an IG pool installed with an EasyTouch control system coupled with a SuperFlo VS pump. My pump is currently programmed to run at 1800 RPM, 24 hrs a day. In an attempt to get my chlorine levels in check and save some energy I've decided to cut that run time in have, 8AM-8PM, and changed my schedule. The problem is that the pump never turns off. The filter pump light goes out, swg turns off, but the pump keeps chugging. I've been digging through the manuals like crazy but cant come up with a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The pump needs to be programmed and controlled from the Easytouch, not from the control panel on the pump. The Easytouch will override any program entered at the pump.

Ham,

I'm puzzled, as I can't see where a Superflo vs has the ability to be controlled by the EasyTouch. I could be looking at an old datasheet, but I don't see where the Superflo has an RS-485 serial port.

Other than AC power, does your Superflo have some other cable going to the EasyTouch?

Jim R.

Ham,

I'm puzzled, as I can't see where a Superflo vs has the ability to be controlled by the EasyTouch. I could be looking at an old datasheet, but I don't see where the Superflo has an RS-485 serial port.

Other than AC power, does your Superflo have some other cable going to the EasyTouch?

Jim R.

Yes *I think* it does, although I may be mistaken since I'm not standing next to it right now. I do believe it has the external control wiring kit which allows the pump to accept a 5v signal for each of the 4 speeds.

It has got me puzzled. The Pentair documentation is not very clear so I may be forced to call my pool builder.

Ham,

OK, did a little more research and it appears that the Superflo can be controlled by Applying 5 volts to one of four input wires. This lets you select one of four possible pre-set speeds. To do this, the Superflo outputs 5 volts which goes to your control system (in your case the Easytouch). This five volts gets applied to the input side of 4 (yes four) AUX relays. Energizing the relay will apply the 5 volts back to the Superflo selecting that speed. The downside is that the Superflo can only use one input at a time and if more than one input is applied it will select which input to use based on an internal priority system.

So Ham, some questions for you..

1. Do you have an EasyTouch 4 or 8? My guess is an 8 as I can't see how this could work on a 4 with a SWG
2. When you say you changed your schedule, what did you change? Sounds like you changed the pump run time from 24 hours to 12 hours which, if wired correctly, would account for the pump/filter relay turning off, which would also shut off the SWG. But I can't see how any of that controls your pump speed. So I suspect there is a corresponding AUX relay that is still on telling the pump to run at whatever speed you had previously selected.

Of course, I am fumbling in the dark and I've been wrong many times before (just today), so your mileage may vary. Any hope of getting a picture of your panel with the CB cover off showing all of the relay wiring?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ham,

OK, did a little more research and it appears that the Superflo can be controlled by Applying 5 volts to one of four input wires. This lets you select one of four possible pre-set speeds. To do this, the Superflo outputs 5 volts which goes to your control system (in your case the Easytouch). This five volts gets applied to the input side of 4 (yes four) AUX relays. Energizing the relay will apply the 5 volts back to the Superflo selecting that speed. The downside is that the Superflo can only use one input at a time and if more than one input is applied it will select which input to use based on an internal priority system.

So Ham, some questions for you..

1. Do you have an EasyTouch 4 or 8? My guess is an 8 as I can't see how this could work on a 4 with a SWG
2. When you say you changed your schedule, what did you change? Sounds like you changed the pump run time from 24 hours to 12 hours which, if wired correctly, would account for the pump/filter relay turning off, which would also shut off the SWG. But I can't see how any of that controls your pump speed. So I suspect there is a corresponding AUX relay that is still on telling the pump to run at whatever speed you had previously selected.

Of course, I am fumbling in the dark and I've been wrong many times before (just today), so your mileage may vary. Any hope of getting a picture of your panel with the CB cover off showing all of the relay wiring?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I appreciate the help Jim and I think you've read my mind. When I got home today from work I snapped a few pictures of the panel with cover off. I'll attach them below. My memory was correct and the pump does have the optional control wiring allowing the, just as you described, 5v control signals to set the pump speeds.

1) I'm guessing I have the EasyTouch 4, as I have 4 circuits (Filter Speed, Slow Speed, Low Speed, and Pool Light).
2) You are correct, I changed the pump run time schedule for 12 hours of run time. 8AM-8PM. Like you said, some of the behavior was expected, i.e. SWG turning off. The pump continuing to run was unexpected.

I do have some more data points. I'm not sure how helpful they are because they are confusing the heck out of me. 1) Pressing the 'Filter Pump', what I would perceive as a command to turn the pump off, button with the panel on causes the pump to ramp up to a high speed. 2) Pressing the 'Pump Low' causes the pump to ramp up. I did not not the RPM. When the panel completes the schedule and turns off, local control is given to the pump. At this point I am able to adjust the RPM.

I suspect that I will need to make a phone call to Pentair for some insight on the control strategy. I called the builder today for help and didn't get much more than a lecture on the need to run the pump for 24 hrs. :roll eyes:

F415FE1C-71B0-4F22-ABA2-776D1AFA71F2_zpstmvv0cjy.jpg

F52F42D3-4FEE-4DFD-9725-028D2D1E198C_zpsapqskds9.jpg

I think I may have found an important piece of the puzzle. I was just browsing the pump manual and noticed this:

"When a Speed Digital Input is triggered, the LED above the Speed button will begin to blink and the display will
toggle between the display parameter and “EC” indicating an External Control is running. The pump will run this
speed as long as the Digital Input trigger is present. This will override the schedule or any user inputs for Speed
selections via the keypad. The Display button is still functional along with the Start/Stop button. Once the Digital
Input trigger is removed from all of the Speed Digital Input wires, the pump will resume the programmed schedule."

"External Control Only Mode
External Control Only mode will only allow the pump to run from external controls/inputs. When this mode is
active the programmed pump schedule is deactivated, and user speed requests from the keypad will not be
accepted. If the pump is stopped a user can still program the speeds for all four Speed buttons."

It sounds like I need this mode activated for it to not default to the timer mode.

Ham,

I was composing a message saying the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. Unless your pump is in the External Control Only Mode, removing the 5 Volt control input will not shut the pump off.

The only thing that puzzles me now is why your SWG turns off and on with the Pump/Filter relay, as I can't see where it is tied into the relay at all. You can see the three relays on the left side, the ones tied together with the thin red wire, are the ones that select what speed your pump is running normal, low and high. The relay on the far right (Aux 3) is the one controlling the pool light.

I'd try the External Control Only Mode and see what happens.

Good find.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.