Pool build in Oklahoma 1st time pool owner

Jul 28, 2015
Yukon/OK
Hello everyone, my name is Jennifer. My husband and I just signed a contract last week for a gunite pool. Dig should be tomorrow if city calls with permit paperwork, if not Wednesday. I am going tomorrow to compare travertine coping and pick my tile out. I talked to 5 different companies and got 5 quotes and drawings. We decided to go with a smaller pool builder that only does about 10-12 pools a year but does a beautiful job. He also owns a landscaping business and started doing pools about 4 years ago which is nice because the grass and sprinkler system is included. The other 4 we would have had to do that on our own. He also includes all gas and electric work.

Here are all my specs:
Dimensions: 115 ft perimeter plus spa; 654 feet
Water depth 3.5 ft- 8 ft with diving board
Raised tiled or rock beam wall, 3 sheer descent waterfalls, with bench seat and oversized swimout

Equipment:
3 hp pentair VS intelliflow pump
pentair cartridge filter
2 Melody Savi LED color change lights for pool, 1 for spa
wireless easytouch 4 controller w/freeze protection
2 skimmer
pentair 400 mastertemp heater
booster pump for cleaner
Polaris 280 cleaner
salt water chlorination

1000 feet of concrete deck

Diamond Bright finish

He will fix french drains, sprinkler system, trim 3 large trees up and install bermuda grass when done

I am so excited and have been scouring every thing I can on pools. I am completely new to the pool thing. Neither husband or I had one growing up. I am scared of the maintenance and hope I can do it all on my own. We have 3 children, 12, 9 and 6.

Biggest thing that I have been researching everywhere I can is whether or not to do concrete or travertine coping(qdi stone). I love the travertine but of course am scared because of the salt water. Most of my friends and family that have pools have salt and 2 have concrete or cool deck coping and my aunt has travertine. My bestfriend just got a ozone pool and went with flagstone which I do not like because of the rough edge when you lean against it. I am leaning towards the travertine at the moment, any suggestions about doing regular or bull nosed. About $500 extra for bull nose.

Most everyone I know has 6 inch waterline tile but my builder really likes the 1 inch glass, opinions?

Excited for the process even though we have missed this summer to use it.

Last edited:
Welcome fellow Okie and congrats.

We are just finishing up our build and went with the 1" glass tiles and love them. I will tell you that I have to clean them about every thirdr day to keep them looking shiny but that is only a 15 min process and one that I hope becomes less frequent once I get water composition completely figured out. Click on the link in My Build Thread in my sig file to take a look. I know that several of the recent builds have gone with the small glass tiles so you should be able to do a fair amount investigative work here on TFP. For example, you will notice that the back side pool wall of my pool looks very similar to pooldv's. I am a very visual person and being able to actually see it helped me to visualize what ours would look like.

Jennifer, I love the travertine, but I think if its not sealed you will have problems with saltwater.. You will need to look at cost of repeat sealing also.. depending on what kind of sealant you go with could cost about 1000 dollars a year, just a guess but something to find out about now instead of later..

we are just south of you, Depending on how you like your builder I may give your guy a call :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your opinions, I have researched the travertine and know I have to seal it but didn't think it would be that much so I need to check on that. I have been so torn about just doing the concrete coping but love the look of travertine so we are going with it.

My first choice at the moment is the Calais turquoise. I like the 1x4 tiles but don't love the color of the teal.

City is dragging their feet on the permit so it might not start tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed they call builder later today.

Thanks for your opinions, I have researched the travertine and know I have to seal it but didn't think it would be that much so I need to check on that. I have been so torn about just doing the concrete coping but love the look of travertine so we are going with it.

My first choice at the moment is the Calais turquoise. I like the 1x4 tiles but don't love the color of the teal.

City is dragging their feet on the permit so it might not start tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed they call builder later today.

sealing may be cheaper, it all depends on how much area needs covered and quality of the product...

I found these when I was researching :)

EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic Semi Gloss Concrete Sealer Solvent Base - 5 Gallon - Household Paint Solvents - Amazon.com $169, 5 gallons, seni good quality

5-Gal. SX500 Penetrating Clear Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete Masonry Sealer, Water Repellent, Salt Guard - Multipurpose Cleaners - Amazon.com $250, 5 gal, better quality

Trbvm- I am so glad you posted this. Neither of the tiles I have all just calling my name so I am going to look at tile again tomorrow.

I absolutely love the wall with the Calais turquoise that you did, gorgeous! Just wondering is there a reason you didn't do that on your waterline? Did you specifically want 6x6 on waterline? Or did you just want two different kinds for contrast?

Here are some pics of the build today. They start the rebar tomorrow.

I think I am also picking a different tile and it is below. Called troyes mottled blue. I loved the calias turquoise but liked the purple in the mottled blue and think it will with my travertine more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.