Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pool build in Oklahoma 1st time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool build in Oklahoma 1st time pool owner

Hello everyone, my name is Jennifer. My husband and I just signed a contract last week for a gunite pool. Dig should be tomorrow if city calls with permit paperwork, if not Wednesday. I am going tomorrow to compare travertine coping and pick my tile out. I talked to 5 different companies and got 5 quotes and drawings. We decided to go with a smaller pool builder that only does about 10-12 pools a year but does a beautiful job. He also owns a landscaping business and started doing pools about 4 years ago which is nice because the grass and sprinkler system is included. The other 4 we would have had to do that on our own. He also includes all gas and electric work.

Here are all my specs:
    Dimensions: 115 ft perimeter plus spa; 654 feet
    Water depth 3.5 ft- 8 ft with diving board
    Raised tiled or rock beam wall, 3 sheer descent waterfalls, with bench seat and oversized swimout

Equipment:
    3 hp pentair VS intelliflow pump
    pentair cartridge filter
    2 Melody Savi LED color change lights for pool, 1 for spa
    wireless easytouch 4 controller w/freeze protection
    2 skimmer
    pentair 400 mastertemp heater
    booster pump for cleaner
    Polaris 280 cleaner
    salt water chlorination

1000 feet of concrete deck

Diamond Bright finish

He will fix french drains, sprinkler system, trim 3 large trees up and install bermuda grass when done

I am so excited and have been scouring every thing I can on pools. I am completely new to the pool thing. Neither husband or I had one growing up. I am scared of the maintenance and hope I can do it all on my own. We have 3 children, 12, 9 and 6.

Biggest thing that I have been researching everywhere I can is whether or not to do concrete or travertine coping(qdi stone). I love the travertine but of course am scared because of the salt water. Most of my friends and family that have pools have salt and 2 have concrete or cool deck coping and my aunt has travertine. My bestfriend just got a ozone pool and went with flagstone which I do not like because of the rough edge when you lean against it. I am leaning towards the travertine at the moment, any suggestions about doing regular or bull nosed. About $500 extra for bull nose.

Most everyone I know has 6 inch waterline tile but my builder really likes the 1 inch glass, opinions?

Excited for the process even though we have missed this summer to use it.
    Last edited by Jenfromok; 08-09-2015 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Change title

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool in OklahomaBigg

I love the 1" glass tile, but all indications are that it's a pita to keep clean. Therefore we went with 6" porcelain tile.

Good luck, looking forward to following the build.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool build in Oklahoma 1st time pool owner

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome fellow Okie and congrats.

We are just finishing up our build and went with the 1" glass tiles and love them. I will tell you that I have to clean them about every thirdr day to keep them looking shiny but that is only a 15 min process and one that I hope becomes less frequent once I get water composition completely figured out. Click on the link in My Build Thread in my sig file to take a look. I know that several of the recent builds have gone with the small glass tiles so you should be able to do a fair amount investigative work here on TFP. For example, you will notice that the back side pool wall of my pool looks very similar to pooldv's. I am a very visual person and being able to actually see it helped me to visualize what ours would look like.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

I want to post pictures of my tile and travertine and get opinions on the tile but don't see an option to attach a photo? Help!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use an app on my phone. Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfromok View Post
    I want to post pictures of my tile and travertine and get opinions on the tile but don't see an option to attach a photo? Help!
    Load your pictures to photobucket and then link them from there. That is the easiest way.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are the 3 tiles I am trying to decide between and our travertine that we chose for our coping.
    Calais turquoise

Sparkle blue
    [URL=http://s611.photobucket.com/user/Jennifer_Whiteley_Wilson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgvkzpasw.jpg.html][/URL
    Shimmer teal

Travertine fantastic

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Jennifer, I love the travertine, but I think if its not sealed you will have problems with saltwater.. You will need to look at cost of repeat sealing also.. depending on what kind of sealant you go with could cost about 1000 dollars a year, just a guess but something to find out about now instead of later..

we are just south of you, Depending on how you like your builder I may give your guy a call
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

I love all of them. They look like jewels. Here is someone who did tile and it came out wonderful!

Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

It is a long one BUT just seeing the tile makes it worth it!

I do like the long ones. Different and pretty!

I can't wait to see this one being built.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

My fav, especially with your travertine choice is Sparkle blue. Next up would be Calais turquoise. IMHO the shimmer teal has too much grey, at least in the pics.

It's tough with so many wonderful options to choose from.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for your opinions, I have researched the travertine and know I have to seal it but didn't think it would be that much so I need to check on that. I have been so torn about just doing the concrete coping but love the look of travertine so we are going with it.

My first choice at the moment is the Calais turquoise. I like the 1x4 tiles but don't love the color of the teal.

City is dragging their feet on the permit so it might not start tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed they call builder later today.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfromok View Post
    Thanks for your opinions, I have researched the travertine and know I have to seal it but didn't think it would be that much so I need to check on that. I have been so torn about just doing the concrete coping but love the look of travertine so we are going with it.

My first choice at the moment is the Calais turquoise. I like the 1x4 tiles but don't love the color of the teal.

City is dragging their feet on the permit so it might not start tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed they call builder later today.
    sealing may be cheaper, it all depends on how much area needs covered and quality of the product...

I found these when I was researching

EnduraSeal 100% Acrylic Semi Gloss Concrete Sealer Solvent Base - 5 Gallon - Household Paint Solvents - Amazon.com $169, 5 gallons, seni good quality

5-Gal. SX500 Penetrating Clear Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete Masonry Sealer, Water Repellent, Salt Guard - Multipurpose Cleaners - Amazon.com $250, 5 gal, better quality
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

14. Back To Top    #14

Come on city! Issue that permit! PLEASE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Well builder just called and the dig guy hit rock at his last pool and won't be able to dig till Thursday. City did get permit though.

Here is a picture of my backyard before.

16. Back To Top    #16

That yard NEEDS a pool!

Uggggggg rock At least you told you.

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

You can look at NNRG-181 (Calais Turquoise) glass tile in our build link -> #81
    I replied to your travertine thread ... so, sealing travertine should be ok in a salt water pool.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Trbvm- I am so glad you posted this. Neither of the tiles I have all just calling my name so I am going to look at tile again tomorrow.

I absolutely love the wall with the Calais turquoise that you did, gorgeous! Just wondering is there a reason you didn't do that on your waterline? Did you specifically want 6x6 on waterline? Or did you just want two different kinds for contrast?

19. Back To Top    #19

On the waterline, we just wanted the wavy 6x6 and not the 1x1, since it is probably easier to scrub. (Less grout area).
    Also we chose the pattern to hide any future deposits.

2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Here are some pics of the build today. They start the rebar tomorrow.

I think I am also picking a different tile and it is below. Called troyes mottled blue. I loved the calias turquoise but liked the purple in the mottled blue and think it will with my travertine more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast