*using TF-100 test kit*

pH 7.5
TA 60
FC 18 *** tested twice!!!!***
CC 0
TC 18 ***
CYA 50
CH 225

My SWG was at 68% .. I immediately reduced to 40% after this reading.

Should I do anything else immediately?!?!?

Since you're running an SWG, your CYA should be higher, it should be closer to 70ppm. Don't worry about the FC, it will come down on its own and your level is not that high.

However, I wouldn't put too much stock in your pH measurement. At an FC higher than 10ppm, the pH indicator dye is not accurate. Retest your levels when your FC drops below 10ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the CYA reading. Thanks for the help!!!

Since you're running an SWG, your CYA should be higher, it should be closer to 70ppm. Don't worry about the FC, it will come down on its own and your level is not that high.

However, I wouldn't put too much stock in your pH measurement. At an FC higher than 10ppm, the pH indicator dye is not accurate. Retest your levels when your FC drops below 10ppm.

8/11/15 reading :
*only tested chlorine*
FC 14
CC .5
TC 14.5

8/13/15 reading :
pH (didn't test)
TA 60
FC 12
CC .5
TC 12.5
CYA 40
CH 200

8/16/15 reading :
pH 7.5 (possibly inaccurate b/c of high FC reading)
TA 60
FC 14
CC 0
TC 14
CYA 50
CH 225

SWG has been at 40% since 8/9/15. Why is FC jumping back up? Should I lower SWG more? I'm so new at this and I know I ask basic questions. I have read information on Pool School. I know what readings SHOULD be, but I don't know how to make them get to those ideal readings. Help would be greatly appreciated!

What is the volume of your pool?

What model intellichlor do you have (IC-20, -40, or -60)?

8/11/15 reading :
*only tested chlorine*
FC 14
CC .5
TC 14.5

8/13/15 reading :
pH (didn't test)
TA 60
FC 12
CC .5
TC 12.5
CYA 40
CH 200

8/16/15 reading :
pH 7.5 (possibly inaccurate b/c of high FC reading)
TA 60
FC 14
CC 0
TC 14
CYA 50
CH 225

SWG has been at 40% since 8/9/15. Why is FC jumping back up? Should I lower SWG more? I'm so new at this and I know I ask basic questions. I have read information on Pool School. I know what readings SHOULD be, but I don't know how to make them get to those ideal readings. Help would be greatly appreciated!
If you added CYA- and it looks like it since it went up - that would account for the FC sticking around longer and building up.

Just reduce the filter time or the SWG on time. Personally, I'd start by cutting the filter down an hour, because that will save a lot more money on electricity than just reducing the SWG on time. The SWG percentage is just like the power level on the microwave. 50% means on half the time, off half the time. 40% means on 40% of the time. But it will only run when it has flow, which means the pump has to be on. If you're running 8 hours pump at 40% SWG, that's the same as 4 hours pump at 80% SWG or some multiple thereof.

The pool is still swimmable, so don't get so anxious. It's all about learning your pool's personality. You only joined TFP last month! You're doing great! Another couple of weeks of experimenting and you'll be bored with pool maintenance and will start trawling the forum looking for someone else's problem to solve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is an IC40. I have a 16x36 rectangle. I still can't figure out exact volume. I'm thinking 25,000. We have a 3.5ft shallow end that goes to 8ft deep end.

24,800 gallons by PoolMath....call it 25,000.

Do as Richard320 says. Start cutting back your pump run time by an hour. Wait a few days. Check your FC. If it is not low enough, cut out another hour. Repeat as needed.

It's almost like you know me!! (The anxious part describes me perfectly!) ?

I did add stabilizer because I felt it needed to be higher and so did another user in this thread :)

We run the pump at high speed from 3-11 each day .. so I think you might have just helped with the issue tremendously. 8 hours high speed at 40% is like 4 hours at 80% ... which is exactly what we were doing!

I can't wait till I can start trolling the forum and help newbies like me!! Might be a while though -- maybe next season!

Thank you!!

If you added CYA- and it looks like it since it went up - that would account for the FC sticking around longer and building up.

Just reduce the filter time or the SWG on time. Personally, I'd start by cutting the filter down an hour, because that will save a lot more money on electricity than just reducing the SWG on time. The SWG percentage is just like the power level on the microwave. 50% means on half the time, off half the time. 40% means on 40% of the time. But it will only run when it has flow, which means the pump has to be on. If you're running 8 hours pump at 40% SWG, that's the same as 4 hours pump at 80% SWG or some multiple thereof.

The pool is still swimmable, so don't get so anxious. It's all about learning your pool's personality. You only joined TFP last month! You're doing great! Another couple of weeks of experimenting and you'll be bored with pool maintenance and will start trawling the forum looking for someone else's problem to solve.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!!!

24,800 gallons by PoolMath....call it 25,000.

Do as Richard320 says. Start cutting back your pump run time by an hour. Wait a few days. Check your FC. If it is not low enough, cut out another hour. Repeat as needed.

Also, any suggestions on pump speeds during low & high speeds. Currently our low speed is 2200rpm and high speed from 3pm-9pm (just changed) is 2700rpm. Last question for the night :) THANKS!!!!!

What are the purposes of the split speeds? What is your pool doing?

Let me preface this by saying that the company that installed our pool did NOT "balance" our pool water when the job was completed .. that's another story for another day �� ... Anyway, they set the pump at 1400rpm but it seemed that the pool was cloudy. *of course it was .. It wasn't balanced* So we (the newbies ��) adjusted the pump speed UP after seeing that the water was cloudy. But really have no explanation for why we set it where we did ... Just being honest here :)

What are the purposes of the split speeds? What is your pool doing?

Let me preface this by saying that the company that installed our pool did NOT "balance" our pool water when the job was completed .. that's another story for another day �� ... Anyway, they set the pump at 1400rpm but it seemed that the pool was cloudy. *of course it was .. It wasn't balanced* So we (the newbies ��) adjusted the pump speed UP after seeing that the water was cloudy. But really have no explanation for why we set it where we did ... Just being honest here :)

Let me ask it a different way - aside from the salt water chlorine generator, is there anything else in your pool that you need to run? Examples would be - in-floor cleaning system, suction or pressure side cleaners, water features like waterfalls or bubblers, deck jets, or an attached spa?

- - - Updated - - -

How many skimmers, main drains and returns do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

And what model and size sand filter do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.