Can't Wait! Ordered my TF-100 Kit

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
and I'm SOOO excited. But scared!

The kit looks impressive but it also looks overwhelming (I've used the strips forever!).

I know it says there are instructions but will it help me figure out WHAT and WHEN and WHERE?

I just found the POOL CALCULATOR and that answered my question if there was a 'program' somewhere 'out there' that would help me do the math with this chemical thing.

Looking forward to getting the package but wonder what's the FIRST thing I should do when I get it. (Besides the little happy dance I do when I get packages at the door!)

Thanks,

dpool

PS - can't wait to be able to really post NUMBERS and not well it's kinda pinkish red (no - not orangish red but pinkish red) so I think I should add ... .

First thing to do is test your water. Just follow the step by step instructions and if you run into any problems or have any questions just post them and they will be answered!

Don't be intimidated...there are good instructions, plus other instructions here on the website about doing individual tests. Lots of great help! I have a brand new pool, and would be lost without my kit. The more you use it, the more familiar you'll be with the tests, and it'll very soon be a snap to use. It's actually fun, in a mad scientist kind of way. :mrgreen:

Like the others have stated you will love it. You will know about your pool water than anyone wants to know, I find my self explaining the balance of pool water to everyone. it sure is a great kit, Thanks Jesse

I GOT IT!

WOO HOO!

So, I was out at the pool doing the 'mad scientist' drill until it got too dark to see the colors and it was so cold I was shaking so much I didn't need any help with 'swirling.'

However, I did get my first REAL numbers:

FC = .5 (explains alot)
CC = .5 (ditto)
TC = 1.0 (is this right - this is higher math here)
PH = 7.5 (how did THAT happen?)
TA = 150 (high for vinyl - right?)
CH = 140 (lower than usual - must have been all the rain this year)
CYA = 0 (really - that explains a WHOLE LOT!)

The box is VERY cool and very organized but can be adapted if I want to get to that point of getting picky.

The instructions are written CLEARLY and easy to understand.

I just noticed the little HANGING TAB on the side so I can STORE the bottles upright if needed. (do they need to be upright?)

The kit along with QUICK and RESPONSIVE Customer Service (Thank you very much!) is EXCELLENT.

Now, you can probably put something like this together for yourself - but WHY would you want to do something CRAZY like that??? Just order this one and GET IT DONE.

Wish I had put the TF-100 Test Kit in the budget BEFORE I got the dumb fountain that keeps breaking loose from the anchor and wandering around pool and watering the yard! HA!

dpool

Okay....first things first....you need to update your profile to include your pool/equip specs in your signature. Go to User Control Panel, and Edit Profile. I had to search your posts to see what you have. Okay, scolding over. :p

It looks like you have an AG pool with a cart? Do you have a SWG?

Now on to the test results....

Was your filter running before you tested? Because if the water wasn't circulating the results could be off slightly.

What does your water look like?

"explains a lot" - are you experiencing algae? You know how to defeat that, right? :goodjob:
"How did that happen" - tongue in cheek? :lol:

Your TA is a tad high but nothing to worry about yet. You can read about lowering it in Pool School after your FC and CYA are in range. The numbers aren't that bad, you just need to bring those two up into range, and then tackle the TA. The high TA will be a problem if you have a SWG, that's why I asked. I ran with a TA of 120 for 2 seasons and had no problem with PH rise, so it really depends on what pool features you have (sources of aeration will cause the PH to rise).

I store my kit flat, bottles on the side. Make sure the tips are on securely to prevent leakage. I keep it in the shipping box in the closet, a "cool dark place" to maintain it's longevity.

Your first priority is to get your CYA level up, presumably to the 30-50 range. I would raise CYA by 30 to start, give it a week and see where you end up.

Until you add CYA, you should be adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. Once you add the CYA you can start aiming for a FC level based on your CYA level.

Your TA level is a little high, but that may or may not be a problem. I wouldn't worry about lowering it unless your PH is constantly rising.

Your CH level is just fine, anything from 50 to 300 is alright with a vinyl liner.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay....first things first....you need to update your profile to include your pool/equip specs in your signature. Go to User Control Panel, and Edit Profile. I had to search your posts to see what you have. Okay, scolding over. :p

DONE ... I think![/b]

It looks like you have an AG pool with a cart? Do you have a SWG?

AGP, Yes, and I just realized I forgot to put that in the SIG. I don't have a SWG and

Now on to the test results....

Was your filter running before you tested? Because if the water wasn't circulating the results could be off slightly.

Yes, the filter had been running for a while but the water was cold and i just realized that my thermometer from last year is broken - put it on the list!

What does your water look like?

Currently I can see the bottom seams! It looks BLUE and CLEAR and CLEAN and except for the fact that it's about 40 degrees with a howling wind outside - I'd be IN it! HA

However, I've just spent the last two weeks getting the water to look this good. I have LOTS of bleach bottles cluttering up the side yard!

"explains a lot" - are you experiencing algae? You know how to defeat that, right? :goodjob:

YES, I went to POOL SCHOOL and what I learned last year. Algae is gone ... for now!

"How did that happen" - tongue in cheek? :lol:

Yes, but I'm baffled with how much bleach I've dumped in the last week that the PH would be at that number. I did some correcting at some point but it was amazing for me to see that number.

Your TA is a tad high but nothing to worry about yet. You can read about lowering it in Pool School after your FC and CYA are in range. The numbers aren't that bad, you just need to bring those two up into range, and then tackle the TA. The high TA will be a problem if you have a SWG, that's why I asked. I ran with a TA of 120 for 2 seasons and had no problem with PH rise, so it really depends on what pool features you have (sources of aeration will cause the PH to rise).

I store my kit flat, bottles on the side. Make sure the tips are on securely to prevent leakage. I keep it in the shipping box in the closet, a "cool dark place" to maintain it's longevity.

I like the idea of storing the box in the box. Glad I kept it. Haven't found the cool dark place since EVERY WHERE seems like a "cool dark place" right now, but I'm on the hunt.

Thanks for your input! Let's hope the sig works!

dpool

Oh, I started working on the CYA last night.

Edited to say: NO SIG - I did something wrong ... not sure ... back to user control!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.