Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: waiting till after winter to pour concrete deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

waiting till after winter to pour concrete deck?

My pool will be done in 2 weeks. I will get about 2 weeks to enjoy it. I want to wait to pour my concrete deck till after winter. Is that ok? The wife and i are undecisive about what we want. If it is ok, can i just buy a winter cover and hold it down with weights?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: waiting till after winter to pour concrete deck?

I've heard of that before and read that its actually kinda ideal.....you allow time for all the settling to take place and all that stuff.

Of course that's assuming you can stand to live with dirt all over the place??? Most folks I know would go nuts.... :/
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like a great plan. If you discover any plumbing problems with the new construction, fixing them will also be easier. Probably wouldn't hurt to spread some base rock around to keep the area from turning to a mudhole.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

As for a cover, i obviously cant get a safety cover, so should i get a cover with the weights on the ends

5. Back To Top    #5

The best concrete jobs won't be done in the winter (especially a Detroit winter)... placing concrete during a time of non-freezing temps(40+ degrees) and increasing temps is best.

6. Back To Top    #6

Our pool was dug last fall and constructed to the point where the liner was installed and the pool filled with water. We then had it covered up for the winter and concrete was poured this past May. We definitely benefited from being able to regrade the areas that settled over the winter.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton